Old 11-04-2009   #11
Deep River, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2005
Sweet dude -thanks.
Is it easy to rent a boat down there? Any recommendations?
I have a Nomad 8.1 and would would be nice to be able to rent one.
How about other gear like PFD, helmut, paddle, skirt etc.? Best to bring your own I guess.

Thanks again!

bealem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
It depends on who you talk to...

Matt and Kristen live in San Jose and I know that he has a couple of boats you may be able to rent. Check them out at

As far as other boat/gear rentals I am not sure bc we brought all of our own gear with us. It may be more difficult to find a full set up rental (although I am sure not impossible); but on the other hand we got tired of hoofing all of our gear around (shredder, paddling gear, etc) on the bus system.

Dont know if you were planning on renting a car or not or how devoted you are to boating. If it is just a day or two activity for the entire trip then I would say try and rent. If you are going down and plan to boat more than that I would try to find a way to at least bring PFD and helmet.

BTW the bus system down there is awsome. It can be a little confusing at times but in my opinion it is not worth it to rent a car...just pack light and take the bus.

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #13
hotel & adventure /costa rica, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Skype™ to robertocacho
Hello everyone, I am a Costa Rican kayaker, I have a B&B 5 minutes away from the airport, I offer services like shuttle and kayak rentals.

The water today Christmas eve is good, but this is the beginning of the dry season (Our summer) and water levels change.

On the other hand Costa Rica has a lot of micro climates, there is always rain somewhere, the important thing then is is to be able to move around, Turrialba is fine, but there are other areas that offer great kayaking, Central and South Pacific, the Sucio and Corintio rivers near the Braulio Carrillo National park, to name a few.

feel free to contact me at
robertocacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #14
COSTA RICA KAYAKING; I can make your entire trip simple, I offer accommodation, kayak and gear rental, shuttles all over the country. COsta Rica The first night in My place, next morning shuttle to any river, I do the driving, straight to the put ins, no waiting for buses in the middle of nowhere with all your gear
Old 12-25-2009   #15
I'm in Costa Rica right now. It has been a very dry year but there are still plenty of rivers to run, not just in Turrialba, but all over the place. I'm going to the Patria tomorrow.

The best advice is: Talk to Cacho (Roberto). He will make your life very easy when you're here. Being dropped off at the put-in and having him waiting at the take out when you get there is priceless. His place is conveniently close to the airport and he will take you anywhere you want to go. This country can be confusing, and removing the guess work will result in more and better boating for you. Cacho is the man!

If you're flying Frontier, it might be worth bringing your boat. It's only $150 bucks. Otherwise, you should rent a boat from Cacho.
Seriously Dude!
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #16
Blue Ridge Mtns, Virginia
Man , i need some reassurance. My Girlfriend and I booked a quick trip to CR and i am having NO,ZERO,NONE luck on getting anyone to return any contact info on renting boats. So for you guys that have been, should i take our gear and wing it on the boat rental? I don't want to take mine because we are only boating for 3-4 days and going to surf at the beach and i don't want to carry it around. Am i OK thinking that i will be able to find a couple boats in Turrialba?
TrevarB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009   #17
Hey Trevar, no worrys man, what type of boats are you looking for?

costa rica