Old 02-03-2009   #1
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 1998
Coming to Ski but want to Boat

I will be coming to Steamboat Springs on March 7th to the 14th to ski. However as a boater I am highly interested in checking out some water while I am there. So at that time what should have water? I am hoping to boat something class III-IV. What would be within a reasonable distance. Looks like the Gore section of the Colorado would be and excellent choice. I would really like to hook up with someone going out of course although I may have a friend from here who is already out there. Also recommend best place to rent boat as I will not be bringing mine of course. Maybe I could demo yours for a day. I currently paddle a Fluid solo.
Hoping to hear from a fellow boater willing to help an east coaster get on some water in the west for just a day. Thanks.

Pakn4Yakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #2
Too early. If you're looking to hit III-IV you don't want to mess with Gore, especially that time of year with ice bridges. However, there is the Shosone section of the Colorado east of Glenwood Springs. That's probably the only thing going then.

Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
March is still winter in the mountains and the rivers and creeks are frozen or piss trickles. Nothing will be running, but the skiing should be nice.

If you absolutely must get on the water no matter what, closest class III that will have enough water to float a boat would be shoshone section of the colorado near glenwood springs. Probably a 2-3 hr drive for 1 mile of cold ass low water class III. Not really worth it compared to skiing in my opinion.

Gore is IV/V and still has ice/snow at that time of year.

Enjoy the skiing! Come back in June if you want to do some boating.
deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Drive a little further- Westwater will be going and the Dolores will hopefully go.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Cross Mountain Gorge on the Yampa may be ice-free by then.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote