Old 03-18-2011   #1
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2008
Colorado Whitewater Vacation

Hello Forum,

New to this community. I'm gonna be in Durango for two weeks and Denver for one week starting April 7th. Have a couple packrafting trips down there in mind. My kayak is not coming with and I'm looking for the following... Someone to go do day packraft trips with (I have two), someone who will loan, barter, or rent a kayak to me, people to boat with. I'm a solid class III boater with some step up class IV runs.

vtpackraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #2
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thats gonna be a little early in the season.

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
For the Durango area, contact 4 Corners ( They can rent you a boat and provide info and current conditions.
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #4
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2008

I know its a bit early, but that when I have no work / I have a airline voucher that needs to be used soon. I'm planning on going to the Rio Grande in New Mexico when I get there and hoping for an early melt. At least with a packraft I have options and should be able to get a car to go to UT otherwise....
vtpackraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Way to early for colorado. Snowpack doesn't really start melting until may, and usually later in may at that.

If I were you, I would look at WA/OR or Cali. Much better options and they will all have water. A whitewater trip with no water would be a waste.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #6
Denver,, exhaustion
if you are coming anyway, there is water. a lot of us have been paddling all winter (or close to it anyway). The royal gorge is already running, at these levels it is an easy class IV to IV-. plenty of other choices on the Arkansas from class III-IV. the colorado river has some class III for you to check out. Ask some locals what the lowest ELF level is and have fun.

Deckers on the south plate should also be going then... (outside of denver class II with one Class III drop). waterton just below deckers will be possible (III+)

my point being there is stuff if you want to look for it.
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
They are dropping the augmented flows on the Ark this week. Chances are it will be running at base flow through most of April. There are some sections you can still kayak at base....but not raft.
The Colorado River, the lower Roaring Fork, and the Gunnison below Blue Mesa will likely have water, but your looking at mostly class II water.
Your best bet for this area will probably be New Mexico....but I doubt anything will be running down there yet either.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Sent you a PM.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote