Old 11-30-2006   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Class IIIs - making a "resume"

In the upcoming season, I want to hit as many 3s that I haven't hit as I can. I'm going into year 3, wanting to make the move up to Class IV.

So I'm looking for IIIs that I don't know about. Mostly, I'm an Ark bitch, though I've done Shoshone.

My Class III resume thus far: Browns Canyon between 300 and 800.
Parkdale at all flows (but it ate me last year at peak flow, and I was not amused)
Fractions at 1200 to 800 (including lower portion of FrogRock to BV)
Royal Gorge at 300
Shoshone between 1000 and 1600.

If I do a run that has a Class IV on it, that's fine as long as it's scoutable and portagable, or the swim consequence is minor. Ultimately, I'd like to form some excursions with other Class III/IV boaters I know and do things we haven't done.

Two places I really want to go are the Poudre (but I'm not a fan of cold water, but I've bought some warmer gear for this year) and I'd really like to check out Cemetary on Roaring Fork I think it is.

I've got the CRC 2, and will be skimming through it as the season comes, but I thought your advanced beta would be helpful. I know I can do Parkdale and Browns over and over, and will as fall-backs, but I'd also like to get out there and explore. There's something different, I think, in terms of building confidence on runs you havn't done before.

If you were looking to test your developing Class IV skills while doing IIIs you hadn't done yet, what would you recommend? (Can include Utah if you think of anything, same for New Mexico).

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #2
ski/kayak bum
Lake Fork
and The East in Crested Butte.

a few of my fav class threes.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #3
pnw, Washington
Get your new boat, get your mojo working and we will take you down the numbers at 300-600.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Hit the Royal Gorge and Brown's (and go down to Twin Falls and Seidel's too) at higher and higher levels. Granite's a good III+ run minus Pine Creek. Bridges and Poudre Park. If you've done the Gorge, you're definately ready for the Numbers at 500-700, in my opinion. Do the Lower Blue; it's a fun and scenic trip. Definately an easy III but when you're comfortable playing in all the rapids, you're ready for the IV's. Foxton and Waterton are both fun III+/IV- runs Ditto on Westwater and the East. Consider Pilar and definately hit up the Upper Blue (and you can run Lower Tenmile when you're in town). Multidayers are great too. Deso/Gray is one of my favorite III runs. You could also look at a permit for the San Juan.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #5
Indian Hills, Colorado
Some of the best advice I've heard is to take harder lines down your favirote class III's, play on every hole and wave, cartwheel every eddy line. By doing so, you'll be ready for unintentional cartwheels, surfs, etc on Class IV's. If you have fun on a solid drop, get out and run it again, and again. Try new and challenging lines! (Don't get pinned please )

Good runs to try:
Numbers below a grand
Foxton if the tunnel is on over 300
Waterton below a grand, or over a grand (then it's fast and fun!)
"Certian portions of Clear Creek at the right water level."
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'd add Clear Creek (Golden) to the list. It may have a bad rep for being blasted rock along the highway, but that also makes it roadside. Lower CC is really just class III with 2 class IVs. I think it's a great training run for stepping up to harder class IV, and will give you a feel for running something a little tighter than the Ark. If you get bored of the lower there's also Lawson & Kermits
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #7
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Gunni Gorge. Incredible scenery, the hike in is fun. Camping at Pleasure Park (take-out). Pay for the shuttle, it's well worth it.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #8
Edwards, Colorado
Eagle River from the bottom of Dowd Chute to Avon...and then you can check out the new WW park in Avon.

Gore Creek in Vail from the Vail Golf Course to town...and there's a WW park there as well.

Check out the section in the CRC on the Eagle River...tons of good stuff.

Cemetery is OK but I wouldn't call it a class III.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #9
Breckenridge, Colorado
Good list so careful not to sandbag people on westwater. It is really class 3-4 moves but more like a class 4 experience and swims. Eagle from minturn to dowd, tenmile from O.G. down (creekier), and eleven mile inbetween the the 2 bigger rapids (lots of flat but the scenery makes up for it).
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006   #10
Golden, Colorado
be careful on lower Clear Creek. At low flows it would be ok, but anything over about 400 or so and the swimming would start to get painful. At about 500 or 600 I would say stay away from it unless you are comfortable in class IV. At about 900 to 1000 I think the whole thing is class IV with some IV+ and much higher than that it starts kicking lots of people's asses who are comfortable in class IV.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote

class ii, class iii