Mountain Buzz banner

Class IIIs - making a "resume"

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  jeffy 
#1 ·
In the upcoming season, I want to hit as many 3s that I haven't hit as I can. I'm going into year 3, wanting to make the move up to Class IV.

So I'm looking for IIIs that I don't know about. Mostly, I'm an Ark bitch, though I've done Shoshone.

My Class III resume thus far: Browns Canyon between 300 and 800.
Parkdale at all flows (but it ate me last year at peak flow, and I was not amused)
Fractions at 1200 to 800 (including lower portion of FrogRock to BV)
Royal Gorge at 300
Shoshone between 1000 and 1600.

If I do a run that has a Class IV on it, that's fine as long as it's scoutable and portagable, or the swim consequence is minor. Ultimately, I'd like to form some excursions with other Class III/IV boaters I know and do things we haven't done.

Two places I really want to go are the Poudre (but I'm not a fan of cold water, but I've bought some warmer gear for this year) and I'd really like to check out Cemetary on Roaring Fork I think it is.

I've got the CRC 2, and will be skimming through it as the season comes, but I thought your advanced beta would be helpful. I know I can do Parkdale and Browns over and over, and will as fall-backs, but I'd also like to get out there and explore. There's something different, I think, in terms of building confidence on runs you havn't done before.

If you were looking to test your developing Class IV skills while doing IIIs you hadn't done yet, what would you recommend? (Can include Utah if you think of anything, same for New Mexico).

See less See more
#4 ·
Hit the Royal Gorge and Brown's (and go down to Twin Falls and Seidel's too) at higher and higher levels. Granite's a good III+ run minus Pine Creek. Bridges and Poudre Park. If you've done the Gorge, you're definately ready for the Numbers at 500-700, in my opinion. Do the Lower Blue; it's a fun and scenic trip. Definately an easy III but when you're comfortable playing in all the rapids, you're ready for the IV's. Foxton and Waterton are both fun III+/IV- runs Ditto on Westwater and the East. Consider Pilar and definately hit up the Upper Blue (and you can run Lower Tenmile when you're in town). Multidayers are great too. Deso/Gray is one of my favorite III runs. You could also look at a permit for the San Juan.

COUNT

#5 ·
Some of the best advice I've heard is to take harder lines down your favirote class III's, play on every hole and wave, cartwheel every eddy line. By doing so, you'll be ready for unintentional cartwheels, surfs, etc on Class IV's. If you have fun on a solid drop, get out and run it again, and again. Try new and challenging lines! (Don't get pinned please :shock: )

Good runs to try:
Numbers below a grand
Foxton if the tunnel is on over 300
Waterton below a grand, or over a grand (then it's fast and fun!)
"Certian portions of Clear Creek at the right water level."

#6 ·
I'd add Clear Creek (Golden) to the list. It may have a bad rep for being blasted rock along the highway, but that also makes it roadside. Lower CC is really just class III with 2 class IVs. I think it's a great training run for stepping up to harder class IV, and will give you a feel for running something a little tighter than the Ark. If you get bored of the lower there's also Lawson & Kermits

#8 ·
Eagle River from the bottom of Dowd Chute to Avon...and then you can check out the new WW park in Avon.

Gore Creek in Vail from the Vail Golf Course to town...and there's a WW park there as well.

Check out the section in the CRC on the Eagle River...tons of good stuff.

Cemetery is OK but I wouldn't call it a class III.

#9 ·
Good list so far...be careful not to sandbag people on westwater. It is really class 3-4 moves but more like a class 4 experience and swims. Eagle from minturn to dowd, tenmile from O.G. down (creekier), and eleven mile inbetween the the 2 bigger rapids (lots of flat but the scenery makes up for it).

#10 ·
be careful on lower Clear Creek. At low flows it would be ok, but anything over about 400 or so and the swimming would start to get painful. At about 500 or 600 I would say stay away from it unless you are comfortable in class IV. At about 900 to 1000 I think the whole thing is class IV with some IV+ and much higher than that it starts kicking lots of people's asses who are comfortable in class IV.

#11 ·
I feel inclined to go with both sides here. Clear Creek would be a good run for you at certain flows with a guide who can help steer you away from the sleepers (of which there are about 1,342,987 on Lower Clear Creek. Otherwise it could definately make you sorry (especially while swimming). Feel free to post or send a message and my crew and I would be happy to show you down almost any of the runs thusfar mentioned. Later.

SYOTR,
COUNT

#12 ·
foxton and waterton are hard to beat. the blue below green mtn. damn is great but far from the springs. browns over a grand is fun and zoom flume is so very, very close to being a -IV. the first section on the fractions at high water, above 1500, is rowdy III+/-IV.

#14 ·
These are all in Northern Colorado/Southern Wyo, and longer (+8 miles) runs, but you asked.

Poudre - Upper Rustic below White Mile. This is one of the best III's out there. I've had friends from the East on it and they said it was some of the most continuous best III they've ever been on. You've got to hit it at above 3 ft on the rock. PM for more details, as there are tons of put-ins and take-outs.

Pourde - Upper Mish though Bridges late in the season (<3 - 2 on rock) will give you III+ -IV all day long.

Blue Below Green Mt. Res late in the season.

North Platte - North Gate Canyon - great wilderness canyon with one IV. Get on it between 1000-1800 cfs for your first time, otherwise it can get to you quickly. PM for more info as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.