Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 07-04-2011   #1
Jeff City, Missouri
Paddling Since: 2006
class III runs July 5-7 (in Salida for Open Canoe Nationals)

Ya'll may see a few more OC's than usual in the area... Open Canoe Nationals are July 8-10 in Salida.

I'm here now, and hoping to paddling class III / III+ on Tues, Wed and Thursday. Happy to drive wherever if we can fit it in a day.

We're looking at sections of the Ark. I've run Brown's before, but will probably skip it at this level. The Upper Taylor, Foxton run on the South Platte, and the Lake Fork of the Gunnison have all been recommended as suitable runs despite the high waters. ??

If anyone wants to hang with some open canoes, I'd love to meet up. Also -- if anyone has input or beta on the rivers above, I would appreciate it! We want to get out there and also keep it safe. I've paddled in the area before but never w/ this surge of snowmelt in mid-July.

Call or text my cell: (three one four) three six three - five five seven one

laurac1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Foxton is a great canoe run at current levels (500 cfs). You can paddle the whole thing including the IV- boulder garden near the top - or put in below the boulder garden and just run the III/III+. Again, it's roadside so you can scout the whole thing. While you're in the area you could also run Deckers/Chutes (class II with one or two class IIIs) and possibly Waterton. Although waterton is running really high right now and will be a big wet flush - and a dangerous swim.

Also consider Elevenmile canyon - one of the best class III/IV- in the state and is rarely running. Elevenmile is unique in that it is more pool drop than most runs in CO. It's harder than Foxton, but's its all roadside so you can scout the whole thing. The downside is if you decide you don't like it after scouting - there aren't any suitable runs close by. Disclaimer: I've only paddle 11mile once, and it was around 400 cfs. I know that some of my open boat buddies like it better at lower levels. Not sure how much harder it gets at current levels - 480 cfs. Maybe keep an eye on the gauge and if it drops - go for it. Detail Graph

I'd join you, but I just got off a weeklong vacation and have to catch up at work before heading to nationals this weekend. Look for a green explorer with an orange prelude on top and say hi!
klund is offline   Reply With Quote

canoe, class ii, class iii