Old 07-10-2011   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Class I-II canoeing in CO

Hi- we're looking to take our canoe out this weekend for a relaxing 2-1/2 day float. Nothing more than Class I-II; and we'd like to get some fishing in along the way. We were thinking of running the Little Yampa Canyon (from Hayden to Duffy Mt.). Anyone run this recently and have any advice on camping spots? Or anyone know of any other spots that might be nice to run this weekend? We'd like to stay within a 5hr drive from Boulder. Thanks!

akeiw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #2
yampa, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
the yampa is still high it is a fun float. camping anywhere on public land ,it is marked. fishing if the waters clearing up could be good for pike and small mouth bass at 6500 cfs you could do this in 1 day from craig so take your time hayden to craig camping is ifffy but you can do that part in a few hours

yampaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking about putting in at the State Wildlife Area (between Hayden and Craig) and taking out past Duffy Mt (before Juniper Canyon). We're planning to pull over and take some fishing breaks, so I'm thinking we can stretch it out over the weekend.

Anyone know how much a shuttle would cost to run 1 car up there? (I can't get ahold of the shuttle company).
akeiw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Consider the North Platte just north of the Colo/Wyo border. The flows will drop this week to make it a Class II. Fishing has the potential to be fantastic ( I just caught 2 12" trout and my buddies a 16" and 17" on the east side of Treasure Island.
It's a one day float from Bennet peak to Saratoga. Plenty of eddies and pockets to fish.
Hack's in Saratoga runs shuttles.
Denny Mo is offline   Reply With Quote