Mountain Buzz banner

Cisco to Moab

13K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  stribtw 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any information on floating Cisco to Moab. I am looking for 3 days/2 nights, nothing crazy in terms of rapids, but something to make it fun. I have been rowing for 12 years, but my buddy is a rookie and will be renting a boat. He has rowed, but has little time behind the oars. I did Ruby/Horsethief last year with the family and it was a little too mellow. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

#6 ·
thanks for the reply.

do you know approx. how far river miles that is?
It is about 34 river miles to Sandy Beach

35 River Miles to Takeout Beach

22 miles to Hittle Bottom (End of designated flatwater, start of the Daily)

Fisherman Ford is about 4 miles. The trip can feel a lot longer than 34 miles with wind and lower flows, so prepare for at least one long day, maybe two. this is a perfect leasurely 3 night trip in mid summer.

#4 ·
The water is pretty flat, well really flat, until you get to Hittle Bottom. The Daily is very manageable for Intermediate rowers, Beginners may have a little trouble at Whites in High water as all the current pushes into a few holes that are runnable at most levels, but will put a hurt on a rookie.

There are primative sights between Cisco and Dewey Bridge, after Dewey to avoid fees camp on river right, Onion Creek has an awesome beach. Or you can pay for some sights on river left. You will probably want to take out at Takeout beach, or Sandy beach.

It's a great float trip you'll have a blast and you'll avoid the crowds that flock to Ruby/Horsethief.

#7 ·
If you need a place to rent a boat, I can't recommend Canyon Voyages highly enough. They have great rates on full setups:

CV - Rafting, kayak, & canoe rentals | Colorado River, Delores River, Green River, San Juan | Desolation Canyon, Labyrith, Westwater Canyon | Moab, Utah

The owner Don is super cool and helpful. Same goes for his staff They have a 10.5' self-bailing NRS that's a lot of fun on that run.

Coyote shuttles is reliable and has pretty good rates.

In addition to a great beach, Onion Creek has some fun, scenic hiking in the red rocks behind camp. 2nd & 3rd camps are nice too, with 3rd being the smallest (there's 3 camps total at Onion Creek).

#8 ·
Fish ford

You can drive to fish ford, And some people do. So if you wish to be on the river and not at a car camp. Go another 2 1/2 miles and camp river left. At the cottonwoods. Now it is true that you can also drive to those camps. It's not an easy drive, It takes most of the day. Usually only a problem in the mid summer months.

#10 ·
Map

The map for Ruby through to the lake is available. Not sure of the name of the maker? You don't really need a map for this. It's all flat and wide till Dewey. Then there aint nothin' till Onion creek. ( Castle Valley Daily ). You can do the whole thing SIDEWAYS!
Easy to Skirt Whites Rapid, Pull off at the Boat Dock. Sunday Brunch @ Red Cliffs. Then just go left!

#12 ·
Does anyone know where I could score a map for this run ? Or if you feel inclined...specific driving instructions coming from Colorado on I-70... for the put in and take out for a 3-4 day trip would be awesome!

I have never been down this way...so I don't know what all these names and places are. I would really like to try and do this section over Memorial day weekend.
So any help would be REALLY appreciated !!

- Matty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.