Old 08-24-2011   #1
London, UK
Paddling Since: 1991
Chile 2011/2012

Iím a British kayaker looking to meet up with other boaters who are heading to Chile this winter. I plan to stay 3-4months, Pucon for Nov, Dec, Jan and then head south to the Fu with the possibility to go down to the Baker.
David at Pucon Kayak Hostel has already been very helpful with river info and general logistics.
If anybody else has any useful info regarding purchasing boats/Chilean kayak shops... it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike A

mcaldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
Been a while since I went to Chile, but unless things have changed, paying the extra and bringing your own kayak might be the best way to insure this "Trip of a Lifetime" will go the way you want it to go. You might investigate selling your kayak in Chile and not bringing it back home. You might pick up a bit of extra cash and score a new kayak back home.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
you will find plenty of boats to buy in pucon. then you'd be best selling it in futa or baker area as pucon has the most kayaks in south america.
pucon is a great town and the place to get all your beta.
i'll see ya there.
onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011

Call RMOC in Salida and ask for Josh. He goes there every winter to work on the river, and an old college friend of his has a kayak shop...he can give you all the details.

JayJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #5
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Check out:

I hear Aren has Chile pretty dialed. Paddled with him in BV this summer. Good Guy.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #6
Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Boats in Chile

This is David from Pucon Kayak Hostel. I think this would be a fantastic topic for a blog. I'll see what I can put together.
RxRivers- Aren and Sara are wonderful. They have a gorgeous property and we actually paddled together this summer. Their my top Futa recommendation too if you are looking for an all-inclusive. As i told Aren and Sara many of my guests are do-it-yourselfers. You might be able to rent from Rx but I don't know for sure.
Yes, if you can fly with a boat to Chile then you can count on selling it, especially creek boats.

Buying a boat in Pucon- I have to disagree at least with the idea of buying a used creek boat. Last year Pucon Kayak Hostel cleared our annual used and broken boat stock and sold more than anyone in Pucon. Those used boats go quick. Argentines come by my place on a regular basis and so do guides from the Futa and Pucon. They're all looking for affordable used kayaks in quality shape. Basically, locals are keep their good boats for personal and renting.

Ian Garcia and Ben May sell used boats. I emailed Ian today to get a price of new boat. I think he was retailing for around $US1100 last year. And that's a good rate.

Shipping: Pucon Kayak Hostel is shipping boats now and here's the breakdown.
Factory wholesale for industry company price
+ Approx. $US70 to ship factory to port
+ Pay Freight company shipping
+ 25% of value of kayak to Chilean impuestos (taxes) Of course, we mark as low as we think we can get away with... Usually about $600 for a new boat. $600 (25%)= $150
+ Pick them up in Santiago

So, Ian's new boat price is pretty good when you consider it costs about $us350 to get a kayak delivered.

Mike, I recommend the following:
A. Try to fly with a boat in excellent shape (cost about $150 if you get it there). You will be able to sell this for about $750 if it's a desirable kayak.
Plan B if you can't fly with your kayak- Immediately buy a boat from Ian's shop in Pucon and resale it when your done. If it's in good shape I'll be happy to work with you on bartar food and lodging trade at the hostel.

Thanks for the idea about a blog.

Keep Kayaking

Pucon Kayak Hostel

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote