Old 06-08-2014   #1
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004

Looking to get in there if she holds. Pm or txt/call 3oh3-359-two5one4

"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #2
dropzone, Colorado
its not running atmo, this is the gauge Detail Graph

even if it was, it is not worth the effort unless and until someone goes in there with a chainsaw and cleans the wood out of the exit to slap yo mama and out of punji stick. Last time we were there in '11 both of those rapids were screwed because of wood, and they are some of the best drops (out of not too many in the first place). I don't think anyone has been in there since? Our group all agreed it was way too much effort for minimal payoff given the wood.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I know a group of Ark Valley boaters that ran it the same year and basically said that same thing to me.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm pretty sure Chase & Murphy ran it last year or maybe the year before. I don't recall them complaining about wood, just about the flows being too low. Anyway, I'd check w/ one of them before heading in once it's running.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014   #5
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
Chase and Murphy fed me the beta about wood being good. Obviously a heads up approach is mandatory. It's not for everyone. If it is of interest and has a decent flow, which I did the other day, I'm sure there are still some class V boaters out there who can appreciate the scenery and value of other stuff besides gnar. KSC- go pull that log outta trainspotting
Thanks for the beta all.
"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #6
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Latest on Cheeseman?

Haven't seen any recent beta on Cheeseman. It seems like badswimmer would have been the last person in maybe as this post the most recent info I could find? As it seems like a good stout level, was thinking about trying to get in there for old time sake this Saturday. Anybody interested or have some fresh info? It sounds like it might be a woodfest these days but there is really only one way to find out what this high water did. Thanks

eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Brian Bank posted on Crackbook they ran this 7/27/2015.

"One of the most sieved out, dangerous, beautiful, remote, and challenging whitewater runs I have seen in my life. We were the first boaters in this year, and possibly one of only a small handful of crews to attempt this run since it was pioneered almost 20 years ago. Most rapids have marginal lines that skirt massive siphons and undercuts choked with wood. The rocks are sharp granite, and the riverbed is steep and goes under rocks frequently. There is one place where the ...entire river is completely blocked by house sized rocks with no possible passage except by land. Other areas provide a labrynth of slots and caves, some of which are certainly runnable, others that are not. Missing the lines in here can be deadly. Paul Tefft is a madman and fired off everything that was clear of wood having an amazing day. Brian Bank also put in a solid effort running a majority of the rapids, while Jacob and I chose to portage most of the larger rapids. I am calling this a class V+ to VI run, and definitely one of the most challenging in Colorado for those that choose to enter the steep, remote, and hazardous rapids contained within. Still unsure whether I will ever return here in the future, but it was an amazing day and is an amazing place on Earth. Everyone survived and no one swam. Thank you to American Whitewater for helping secure access and thanks for a great day everyone, with Brian Bank, Jacob Perizollo, and Paul Tefft."

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015   #8
Front Range Swim Team
FRST, Colorado
Glad they got in there. That said, I just checked the gauge and it is now DONE. Funny... that thing had a 2-3 day window this year! That's it!

cmack is offline   Reply With Quote