Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 08-24-2015   #1
Morgantown, West Virginia
Cheapest/best country for extended kaying trip this winter?

So I'm looking into heading to South/central america for a few months this winter to do some paddling. As of now looking for good class 4 and will most likely be traveling solo. Anyone have good suggestions on where to go as far as keeping it cheap, easy logistics for getting around (shuttle, etc.), and to find fellow boaters? I've done some research for Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Chile and have found some great looking outfitters and hostels that would be great for a short trip (1-3 weeks), but since I am trying to go for a longer trip, I'm interested in alternative suggestions for keeping the cost down. As of now looking to plan the trip somewhere between the months of November and end of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wvboater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #2
Morgantown, West Virginia
Also wouldn't be opposed to acquiring some work (guiding, farming, etc.) to help fund travel

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wvboater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Consider Mexico (Huasteca region around Cd Valles, then head down to the Veracruz area). You can drive your own rig, or fly in and rent a vehicle. Very cheap, incredibly beautiful rivers. Of course, the current safety situation is a huge consideration. There will be plenty of people that say it's relatively safe, while others wouldn't take the risk. My personal opinion is that the kayaking regions themselves are probably pretty safe, while the drive to/from is currently sketchy & probably not worth it for me as a older guy with kids. But you may be able to route almost entirely through toll roads, which would be longer but a lot safer.

There is a lot of info if you search the Buzz, but here are some non-commercial write-ups:

Valles Area: Experiencing Northern Mexico on a Whitewater Kayaking adventure | Chasing the Sun

Veracruz: Trip Report (and Guide) to Paddling Veracruz, Mexico | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote