Old 02-17-2010   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Andy, we went to San Carlos for Xmas two years ago for two weeks. It's a beautiful expat community with plenty of amenities, but also close to off-the-beaten path attractions. The things I liked best were that we drove there (14 hours) so we got to see Hermosillo and Guaymas, very cool, very authentic Mexican towns, camping on the beach, and floating (I took my raft) through the Estuario Del Soldado- a coastal lagoon and bird sanctuary. We ate out for every meal, shopped at the tourist stores, and drove all over the countryside for under $500.

We also got to swim with dolphins and of course there was diving and fishing and parasailing and anything else you might want to spend money on.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #12
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If your looking to just hang out, soak up the sun and have some quiet Exuma (archipelago cays off the coast of Florida) may be cool. Easy to get, safe and not too expesive (americanized/more popular with a few major resorts). Word is pretty laid back and with exception of a few big resorts not over run yet where you do your own thing. A popular thing to due is rent a Boston Whaler for the day and cruise around to your own cays.

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #13
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

You should check out the Cayes of Belize. Flights to Cancun this time of year are $300-400 round trip. With a couple hour bus to the border town of Corazol and a $100 flight out to Caye Caulker you'll be chilling in a hammock drinking rum out of coconut for $500, including the room. You can island hop, stay in hotels or hostels, snorkel, dive, swim, and have a super mellow Carribean time.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #14
we're heading to Roatan, Hondrus next month.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #15
nomad, Colorado
use the cancun airport

I agree with randy. Use the cancun airport. It is the best point to explore a lot that has nothing to do with the 150 mile strip of concrete and overpriced drinks to the south. South of Tulum there is an inland lake, Bacalar i think, super cool area. The area between chetumal and lago bacalar is great and cheap. Or head west to Merida, stay for a couple of days its plaza is wonderful then head to celestun on the coast. You could also go south from there to the state of campeche. We did the Yucatan for 6 weeks last year, these mentioned places could be what you are looking for. You could also look at Isla Mujeres,just off the coast of cuidad cancun, a little more poppy and tourista but nothing like the shit to the south. PM me if you like
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
My favorite place on the Mexican Pacific coast is Troncones, which is about a half hour north of Zihuatenejo. There are lots of beach side places to stay or houses to rent, great surfing in the area, good fly fishing on the beach or fly fishing for sailfish and other big angry sea fish from boats in Zihuatenejo harbor. Driving there is highly recommended if you have a couple of weeks -drive down Baja, ferry over to the mainland, drive down the coast popping inland for Guadalajara and Tequila.

The El Salvador coast is pretty great, especially if you surf. Its also easy to pop over to Guatemala to Atitlan, Antigua, etc.

Belize is also great. Make sure to spend some time in a Garifuna town and not just on the tourist Cayes. Dangriga is a great Garifuna town for hearing funky music and seeing funky dancers.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Chetumal bus station my home away from home.Holbox an island north of Cancun or on the Pac coast Pto. Escondido fit your requirements.Guatemala and mainland Honduras are way cheap but less cushy.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the info!

I'd like to thank everyone that's posted info here. For her first trip south of the border my wife's decided on a getaway to Isla Mujeres where she's found a cheap deal for her and a couple of friends. Unfortunately without winning the lottery I will not be along. Maybe on later trips we'll get a bit more adventurous and be able to take some of the more off-the-beaten path suggestions here.

Thanks again, everyone,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #19
Golden, Colorado
Good choice.

The recommendations for El Salvador and Guatemala for a budget trip with the wife were TOTALLY sketch.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #20
Evergreen, Colorado
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Looking for suggestions of someplace to go for a couple of weeks warm relaxing, swimming, lots of peace and quiet, near some amenities, and on a budget. It seems like a lot of the Carribbean resorts with websites are pretty pricy and we're looking for something a couple of steps down from the Cabo Hilton but a couple of steps up from sleeping on the beach, and with food that's safe to eat.

Any suggestions?

Please PM me if you don't want to post here.

I've got some old friends from Crested Butte that live in Sayulita I've never been there, I think it is mainly a surfer town and fairly remote compared to Puerta Vallarta. I just looked up some pictures and it looks real nice.

Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote