Mountain Buzz banner

Cataract Canyon in winter

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  j-jo-ber 
#1 ·
Do people often paddle Cataract Canyon in winter? Can it be done in 3 days in a longboat?

#6 ·
This makes it so that all they other days you can just dress in no wet river gear, which is quite nice.

Yep, this. Easy to run all the rapids in one day, not as easy to find a great camp below.

50* in the forecast for the early part of next week. Probably going to stick with Westwater and leave Cat to those that *really* like to suffer.

#7 ·
I've run Cat twice in the last year or so, and the camping below the Imperial rapids has been getting progressively better, do to the dropping water levels of Lake Foul. It's not that hard to find a place to camp down there anymore, with the rapids continuing to Gypsum Canyon, and the current continuing on and off till the take out. Becoming a fan of Rapids all in one day!
Happy boating down there!! Becoming one of my favorite stretches.

Hopefully Powell will continue to stay low, as this speeds up the siltation process, eventually this dead beat dam will have to go.

#8 ·
+1 for rapids in 1 day if you're on a raft for comfort. I've been on Cat 5 times, and most enjoyable was a 2 day trip in December. 3 playboats, self-support, a bit cold in the evenings without fire, but long days of paddling flat water kept us warm...well worth the play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.