Old 10-03-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Car camping near Shoshone?

Headed to Shoshone in a few weekends. Have a small self-contained pop-up trailer. Looking to car camp near Shoshone, as close as possible. Any close by forest service / BLM land?

Please give as many driving directions as possible, only semi-familiar with the area.

Thank you in advance.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The search tool is your friend.

camping in glenwood

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Gear dog go left and right couple times you will get there... buy a map. They existed long before the gps on your phone. If you can't figure directions is hate to see what happens on river...
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tough crowd.
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #5
pop-up trailers are lame. It takes 10 minutes to put up a tent, place a stove on the table, and get out the food boxes.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
No Name exit. Rock Gardens campsites are fine if you are a complete fucktard (too harsh?).
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #7
Jenks, Oklahoma

10 minutes is about the time it took me (or less) to put up the smaller sized Jayco pop up camper we used for a number of years. Stove, sink, pots, and food already in place and easy to get to as well.

Very nice to have plenty of dry space to cook and serve food, nice awning for BBQ during rain and extremely comfortable for my wife and I when she was into Colorado trips.

Now that it is just me, I do the tent, stove on the table and etc when I am out west boating. I enjoy it a bunch.

My opinion only but I think pop ups are very nice and have their place in the Rockies camping scene. I am now a tent traveler and really enjoy it. I enjoy sleeping in my tent during Rockies thunder boomers but must say cooking in a pop up camper during a Rockies thunder storm is one heck of a lot easier than dealing with blowing rain under a tarp and I have the big original Moss Outfitter Tarp and it still gets wet under the tarp when the wind blows.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #8
If you are in a Rockies thunder storm, wait 15-30 minutes for it to pass.

I'd rather look at trees or mountains while cooking, rather than a camper wall. Glenwood canyon is gorgeous.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma

week before last, thursday night if memory correct, I was camped at West Water Ranger Station (in a tent with my outfitter wing over the cook table) it started raining a bit in the late afternoon, after dark the thunder boomers started and it poured rain and lightening most of the night. Not sure if Westwater qualifies as a Rockies area or not - sure feels like it to us flatlanders. I promise it was big time wind blown rain for hours not 15 - 30 minutes.

Also the Jayco pop up I had was mostly windows on all sides with 360 degree views. Enjoyable views at that. Unzip the canvas window covers and it was net, pretty much the same as a tent neting except more of a view.

I stand by my opinion that neither all tents or all pop up campers are bad or even good. Depends on the situation and the camper!

Camped many times in Glenwood Canyon and surrounding areas, mostly under the stars or sleeping on the pic nic table - I totally agree with you that the area is drop dead gorgeous!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #10
Outdoor Recreation
Silt, Colorado
The BLM has a developed campsite in Gypsum, exit #140 off of I-70 south of the interstate. Turn right on the frontage road (Old Highway 6)and go 1.5 miles past the roundabout. Take a left into the Gypsum Recreation Area. There is a $10.00 fee per night, and the campsite includes restrooms, picnic tables, fire grates and trash collection. Hopefully, this will fit your needs. It is about 17 miles from the Shoshone exit.

BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote