Old 02-14-2011   #21
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
All good stuff here, I agree with the general numbers given. I went in 08 for about $750 pp put-in to take-out plus $400 rt gas from Denver. I cannot imagine the cost I would be paying if I hadn't gone on the trip of a lifetime.

DocDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #22
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
The cost of the river trip is nothing. Taking a month off work is for most of us the major cost! Not going would be real bum deal. you must find a way to go. You'r rafting partners will be telling you trip tales forever!

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #23
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I went on a private trip when I was 16. We averaged a little over 1200 per person. We had 6 kayaks and rented one snout raft, brought our own outboard motor. We also rented coolers and ammo cans, all from Canyon Reo.
We found out about half way down that the frame we rented with the raft actually belonged to an Azra guide, who wasn't too pleased to learn why big Donnie "borrowed" it. This did provide proper leverage to the Azra group to help us get it un-broached from House rock. 5 of the guys who went were high school buddies, one of whom was my dad, one guy was adopted in to the group and is the author of Paddling Oregon, and one guy was recruited to the group to man the raft with me.
He turned out to be all show and no go, so I rowed from day two to the end. Another one of the guys intended to IK the whole trip, but spent about 12 days total on the raft with Mike and I.
That trip shaped who I am today. Now 32, with 2 kids, I hope to go once again. Our friend Robb, out of the 8 of us, has made a few more trips down with various groups. One of us, Darren, has passed away, way too early. I have continued to boat, now wanting to get a raft, instead of the duckies I used to paddle.
About an hour ago I stood in the hallway holding my 3 month old girl looking at a picture of the 8 of us, camped out river left at mile 194. Man, all I can say is do it. You will have good days, bad days, great days, and will have the crap scared out of you at least 3 times. But really, if I could talk to you face to face, seize the chance to do it. It's worth every penny, every cost, and you will thank every one of us for telling you to go.

May 2nd, 1995 launch date
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #24
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
We did a 5 person trip, 16 day, August 28, 2009 for $1200 door to door from Canon City to Diamond. Gas, hotels, food, booze, more booze, shuttles, ice, and everything included. I prefer Ceiba Adventures to Pro. We rented a blaster and they did our shuttle. Their 16 person, all inculsive package, would have been cheaper for us to leave everything at home and just rent it all from them.

eljim is offline   Reply With Quote