Old 03-06-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
Camping near Hood River

A couple of us are headed to Oregon for Spring Break and will be in the Hood River area for the majority of the week. Just wondering if anyone knew of good/free places to camp. The National Forest campgrounds will be closed for the season when we're there, but they said if we park at the gate and hike in, it would be fine. Is there anything else in that area?

Also wondering about camping up in Washington as well. Any info you could throw out would be great!

Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #2
Denver, Colorado
There is some great camping on the takeout road for the lower White Salmon run. Head past the Northwestern Lake and just keep going on that road. Nice spots there. That is my best reccomendation, there isnt really anything good very close to HR.

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
There are not that many official camp sites in the columbia gorge, but there are a lot of empty logging roads. Go into the Kayak Shed in Hood River and ask them, they might be able to give you good directions. You better have a good tent in the NW. Have fun.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
Thanks for the help. We went out last year as well and ended up camping by railroad tracks and on this random private road. Then, by luck, we were able to meet up with Mike Olsen on the E Fork of the Lewis and were able to crash at his cabins the last three days of our trip. The cold nights weren't even remotely bad there ha. Don't know if we'll be as lucky this time though. We'll hit up the Kayak Shed for sure, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks again!
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #5
the shed will let you crash in their lot, i believe. spring break trips in wa can be rough. there aren't alot of campgrounds and many of them are closed this time of year. there is a county run campground in trout lake, but i'm not sure if they are open yet.
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #6
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Have camped up from the little white as suggested on timber access road. Rustic but nice. We may be in the area for spring break first two weeks of April. When are ya'll going? Looking for III-IV, suggestions? Did you do below Lucia falls on the EF? Like to do NW trips being very flexable to get the best flows/weather.

Had good camping on the Deshutes. Several hours from the Hood tho.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #7
Nederland, Colorado
camping in hood river. i lived, worked, and car camped there for the last 2 summers. there are two key spots. first is as a previous reply mentioned: up the dirt road past the lake at the take out for the lower white salmon. that road makes a huge loop up there in the woods and is beautiful and not frequented by hardly anyone. just logging way up there. you can go straight or make that sharp steep left. as i said... it is a big loop.... about 10 miles long. great mtb on that hill too that not a lot of locals ride. its a great shuttle with tons of vert and super fast bermed single track all the way down through the center of the loop. ask if interested and i will tell you more. we used to rally our downhill bikes there! next is up post canyon as far as you want to go. ask anyone in town where that is especially mtn bikers and you will be good to go. its practically on top of town and offers awesome views of the valley. good luck. PS.... or you can always settle for the parking lot behind the kayak shed....... pick up a little trash and john hart the owner will be stoked.... tell him mica said what up.

phyreriver is offline   Reply With Quote