Old 06-06-2010   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Just got off Lodore, I haven't seen any bugs at all at Splitmountain. But I would be prepared regardless.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Howdy All,
I need a current update on the skeeter situation on Deso. My Main Salmon trip launching this weekend cancelled due to the out of control high water in Idaho. I'm trying to decide about a Deso trip launching next Monday, June 14th. I HATE getting eaten alive on Deso, otherwise love the trip. Looks like the flow is holding between 18,000 - 20,000 cfs right now. Any update from this past week would be appreciated.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #13
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Cabins at Sand Wash

Suggest you rent one of the screen cabins at Sand Wash. They are cheap enough and you don't have to pitch a tent. They are large enough to prepare food and lounge around the night before and the morning of your put-in. There might be bugs on some of those lugs but there ain't no bugs on me!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #14
logan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I was there last week and no bugs at sandwash however the lower stretches of grey canyon where rough with nats, specifically range creek, worst I have ever encountered!
jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010   #15
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005

We took off on June 5th and had no problems with mosquitos. We did however have problems with biting gnats that were horrible at times especially on hikes away from the river in Gray Canyon.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Bug update - just got off the Green on Saturday. We arrived on Saturday 6/6 at Sand Wash and there were no mosquitoes to speak of!!! Along the way we did have some, but minimal. The gnats were much more prevalant and occasionlly annoying(especially in sites with lots of tamarisks and little breeze), but we normally had a breeze in the evenings to keep them away. The water level went up almost a foot while we were on the river, so worst mosquitoes are still yet to come as the water level has not dropped enough. However, there was a HUGE rain storm right after we got off on Saturday. Flash flood warnings were in effect. This rain could have caused puddles for mosquitoe breeding.

BTW -We spoke with another rafter at the take out who was scheduled to do the Middle Fork of the Salmon and also bailed due to high water after hearing of an experienced group that lost their boat within first 1/4 mile.

GinnyB is offline   Reply With Quote