Old 12-16-2014   #11
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I only know of one translantic airline and one US domestic airline that have actual policies for flying with a kayak. And that is Iceland Air and Southwest airlines. Max has flown numerous of times both internationally and domestically with his kayaks with Iceland Air and Southwest.

Southwest charges $75 per kayak for a one way trip and Iceland Air charges anywhere between $100 and $150 to transport a kayak from Europe to the US. This is what we have been charged for his slalom kayak.

Max's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There are two places on the web in Missoula MT that list kayak rentals. I would be wary of the performance of whatever kayaks they have, so call ahead and check. I would also check Strongwater to see if they have kayak rentals, though they seem to be focusing on surfing more lately.

Rentals | Trail Head Montana

Raft & Kayak Rentals and River Tubing Trips | 10,000 Waves Rafting & Kayaking | Missoula, Montana

There might be places to rent from in Boise too. But given the probable poor selection, and cost of flying your own, have you considered just buying something used when you get here, and unloading it before you leave? It might be more hassle, but if you know what you want, or are willing to use, you might be able to arrange the purchase ahead of time and have it waiting for you. Just a thought.

Don't assume Spokane is cheaper to fly into than Missoula, sometimes it is more expensive so just do your research.

Have fun, you are in for a treat. Def come sooner in June than later for bigger water.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #13
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
I think your logistics are better supported by flying into Boise. More and cheaper flight options, rental vehicles etc. Alpenglow rents kayaks, Idaho River Sports too perhaps. Plus good sources for beta when u arrive.

Head north, warm up for a few days on the Payettes, several runs worth it on sf and nf if up to it. Head north to cascade and head in to Yellowpine! Spend a few days on the efsf/Johnson creek/lower secesh, and soak in the back country charm. Then arrange shuttle thru the general store for the sf salmon. 2 day roadless.

Next, drive out to riggins and hit the main salmon if u see something you like, otherwise head north and drop into sf Clearwater. Roadside at its finest. Hard stuff the further upstream u go toward elk city. Then off to the lochsa; you will want to spend several days if not more! Other local options like tribs may be running, inquire at 3 Rivers. Keep an ear for anyone with a selway permit you could beg your way onto,or try to set something up before your trip.

That is just a start. If the bruneau has say 500 or more in it then it is well worth the effort, but the shuttle is challenging to figure out. Little Salmon is close to your route. Grabbing a MF cancelation and blitzing it is an option. More days on all of the above. You could easily fill your time on the above list. Remember to take your time and enjoy the off river stuff, like hotsprings and mountain towns and local breweries and funky little bars and redneck locals who will likely be extremely friendly if you are.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014   #14
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Idaho is fabulous.
Seriously underrated by the rest of non-river/non-hiking America.

The shuttles are lengthy. Expensive.
If you do them yourself, you're from elsewhere and it is at night there will be coordinated rescues.

If you do fly into Boise and will be renting gear there.
Find a stay near the greenbelt.
Boise has this gift they've given themselves right on the river.
(This is not a river you'll run.)
Would be a great place to loosen up your legs after the flight.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014   #15
Boise, Idaho
Honestly, just fly into Boise, head up to Banks, and spend a few days bumming around that area and you'll meet dozens of kayakers who will show you around. There's enough in the area to keep yourselves occupied until you're able to rally with others.

The best time frame would be mid May to mid-to-late June, for sure. That ensures the greatest number of runs and the best levels.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014   #16
Boise, Idaho
As for renting boats... you'll be able to find all of the Jackson, Liquid Logic, Pyranha, and Zet boats. The prices aren't super friendly, though. You'll be in for about $20-$40 a day.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
I think your first step should be to apply to the 4 rivers permit lottery (Selway River,
Hells Canyon-Snake River, Main Salmon River, Middle Fork of the Salmon River) at Salmon-Challis National Forest - Recreation Passes & Permits. The close of the lottery is January 31st, and find out on Feb 6th if you got something.

If you are lucky enough to get a permit, then you could build your trip around a short multi-day. If not, then proceed to the many day trip options listed in this thread. Of these 4 I have only run the middle fork, but it sounds like the selway would be most in line with what you all are looking for.
bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #18
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Boise would be a good place to fly into. I would rent boats in Boise then stop by a pawn shop and by a $25-50 bicycle to run shuttles. I have had luck taking everything and everybody to the top of a run then one person take the car to the takeout and thumb a ride while you're still dry. This has worked on the SF Payette and most other road side runs.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015   #19
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
It's true that if you fly into Boise and drive an hour North to the town of Banks on the Payette River, you will find lots of friendly boaters that will give you all the necessary beta.

The poster that suggested the SF Salmon "washes out" above 4.5 feet is mistaken. If you are looking for class 4/5 big water, you do not want to miss this. Flows above 5 feet make it juicy. Flows above 6 feet is certainly class V. Flows above 7 feet can be terrifying. You can do it in a long day, or overnight it, but camp before you get to the confluence of the Main Salmon.

The Payette drainage alone can be fun for a week or longer, but there are lots of other amazing options within a few hours. All you really have to do is get here and chat up some locals and you're bound to be given many options on what you guys can do.

Feel free to drop me a line when it gets closer.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote