Old 06-28-2013   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Bridges runnable levels

I did a forum search and see people were running the bridges section of the poudre into August (although it was in 2011...)

How long is this section usually runnable to? What is the gauge level where you wouldn't want to do it. 1.5 ft? or does it stop before then? Just wondering because I'm looking to step up to more solid class 3 from the FP run but don't want to wait too long if I'm going to miss it.

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
I think people run it down to a foot or so? I've done it at 1.5 and it had plenty of water.

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
That makes me
Old 06-28-2013   #4
Lower Mishawaka is a nice step up from FP. Maybe better than Bridges, since you don't have any bridge abutments to worry about on Lower Mish.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Hmmm....I'll keep that in mind.
Anyone else have any opinions?

I know from word of mouth it seems bridges is the next run, but I'm sure a lot of that has to do with it being much closer and quicker to get to as well. I'm sure if it were the other way around lower mish would be more common. Are they similar in length?
Old 06-28-2013   #6
While lower mish might be easier than bridges it's really shallow. Especially with the water this low. Lower mish is a little longer.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013   #7
I have to disagree with the naysayers out there. How low you go is up to you (and your craft of choice). Kayaks can go quite low. Pineview goes fine at 0.5' (playboat), 0.4' is a tad too rocky for me. Similarly, Bridges has lines through it atleast down to 0.4', don't think I've tried 0.3'. Low water does mean less play, but it's still a relaxing float. You really get odd lucks from the fishermen in Pineview when you come through at that level. Granted, at 0.5', I think I'm the only one running Pineview down. Poudre Park was surprisingly good at 1'. Good as in plenty of water and more river time, not necessarily lots of play.

Lower Mish is fine at this level (~3'), it is not remotely boney/shallow by any stretch for a kayak. For a raft it may be. That said, the surf on Bridges is much better right now. Generally the left side of Lower Mish has a deeper channel. At 1' Devils/Ouzel is getting a tad thin.

We have run Upper Narrows through BTO at 1.5' numerous times, it's all fun. When I started I listened to these folks say that Bridges wasn't boatable/worth it below 2', and that's all hogwash

I will grant you that if you have the abilities to run the Narrows, it will be much more fun (at least for me) once we hit 1.5-2'.

That said, despite my enjoyment of low flows, I still haven't tried Rustic's below 3'.

Oh, if you are not in the FC area, would I drive to the Poudre when it's at 1' to run Bridges? Likely not unless nothing else was running and I really wanted to get wet
(kinda like doing Numbers at 150cfs or Royal Gorge at 200).... Not that I haven't done those drives

So my personal cut off for Bridges is 0.4' or so. If you can run the Narrows, that is much more fun at that flow, but if you can't, or want a mellow run, Bridges is perfectly fine. Plus you get to practice you rock avoidance!

(keep thinking light thoughts and you're good)

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is offline   Reply With Quote