Old 07-24-2011   #1
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Boulder creek?

I was wondering how is it from 4 mile down to the park. Is there still enough water. I dont want to waste driving if its too low.

Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would tend to call it too low, but it depends what you're looking for. The Buttress rapid will be a fun IV- type rapid. The rest of the run will feel like boney class IIIish creeking. Lots of people still run it at this level, but mainly people who don't feel comfortable on it higher, or just need a quick run close to town.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011   #3
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Ive run it a bunch with water I just can't remember how low I ran it in previous years. Im just trying to find out whats close and still doable. I'm going to get a run in. Anyone want to join in?
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #4
If the water is still above 250, I could do 4mi down later this week (weds or later).
PM and let me know what works for you.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011   #5
Yeah - if it's below 300cfs then it's not worth going all the way from 4mile, in my opinion. Maybe 275 bare minimum? However, Buttress rapid is still fun at lower levels. We used to put in immediately above Buttress, just after the bike path tunnel there's a couple of nice eddies. I've run Buttress down to 180 and still had fun. However, below 250, the little unnamed zig-zag rapid that is a few hundred yards below Buttress (not the second half of buttress, which also has a zig-zag) that thing can get tricky at lower water. Nothing life threatening, but it can get annoying, lots of annoyning broach spots there.
Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek