Old 12-02-2008   #1
Boring Geezer Seeks 2009 GC Trip

Failing a miracle in the lottery, I'll be looking for someone else to take pity on me for the 2009 season in the Grand.

I'm retired and in my early 60's. I have a full range of required equipment -- 20'/30" Jack's cat gear-hauler [w/motor if necessary], kitchen, groover, aviation radio, etc. WFR/CPR, eight years as long-term volunteer river ranger. I've done six GC trips over the past 28 years, and numerous runs on other Western rivers as well. I know the river routine fairly well, although by no means an I an expert on the Canyon.

I'm an early-to-bed, early-to-rise, kind of fellow -- on most trips, I'll be the one making coffee at daybreak. Not looking for a trip that relies on chemicals, adult beverages, or wild partying for fun. I don't have a good collections of jokes and river stories, don't sing well, nor do I play any musical instruments. (OK, I'm not going to look like a real fun guy to some people on the Buzz -- I admit it.)

While beggars can't be choosers, I'm primarily interested in April/May or September/October trips. I'm past the point where summer heat is fun, and I never was much of a cold weather boater.

If you're looking for a dependable guy who's ready, willing and eager to do at least (and usually a bit more than) his share, please give me some consideration.

Rich Phillips
richp47 (at)

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #2
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Hi, Rich I'm retired also. I would like to plan a trip later on in 2009 (July-Sep.). If I hear of anything I will let you know or will plan one of my own. I spent the last thirty-two years up in a aluminum tube and quiet a few on the river also. I would welcome having you on a river trip with me and some of my old friends( no pity needed). I will keep in touch. Right now I'm hammering nails on a full scale remodeling project for my ex-wife,go figure (will spoil a lot of my skiing time also). When summer comes I will be ready for some R&R. on the river.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #3
Hi Raymo,

Thanks for the reply and offer to coordinate on something. I'll keep you in mind if I get any offers that might have a need for other boaters as well.

If I can't get a Grand trip for Spring or Fall, I'm trying to put together a Trans Utah trip from high on the Green, down to Hite, for sometime starting in mid-September. I did Westwater to Hite solo last month, and that was a lot of fun -- nobody else on the river at all, and Cat is stimulating when you know there's no-one around to help you!

I live in Illinois, so I have a long way to travel, and consequently I like to do something long if I'm spending that kind of money on fuel.

Let's stay in touch.

Old 12-10-2008   #4
Pathetic Begging Stage Approaching

Renewing my request for consideration to be invited on a spring or fall GC trip next year.

References available upon request.

Have pity on an old guy....

Rich Phillips
Old 12-22-2008   #5

Had an excellent offer from great-sounding group, but due to a scheduling conflict I couldn't go with them.

Still looking. References available upon request.

Have a great Christmas.

Rich Phillips
Old 12-22-2008   #6
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Where in Illinois? I'm gonna guess.....around Peoria?

We'd invite you in late March,but our group is more the young(ish) crowd that prefers WW. Whiskey and weed.

Plus,you don't have boobs.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #7
Hi Barry,

Nah, I'm actually a Northern Illinois river rat -- west of Chicago about 40 miles.

Yeah, I'd be no fun for you young guns. Have a great trip!!!

Best to you.

Old 12-22-2008   #8
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

Are you willing to come on a homo-erotic all male river trip?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008   #9
Hi Randaddy,

If I considered that, then in the interest of full disclosure, I'd have to tell the permit holder about the time I tried the nude boating thing. The result was a two-count indictment, for Interstate Ugliness and Congenital Stupidity.

Have a good one.

Old 12-23-2008   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Rich, this is so entertaining I'd just love to have something witty and funny to add, but I'm not on top of my game right now.

Well, let me try:

Sober, unbiased referee available to keep a trip moving down the river even while all hell breaks loose?

Mature, responsible dude ready to bring tons of gear and guaranteed NOT to be a problem.

Boater with all the gear ready to hit the grand. I won't be the one who gets loaded all the time, yells at people, never helps out, flips his boat in crystal and ruins everyone's day because he almost dies. If you're looking for that guy, it's not me.

Yeah, maybe that. What you have to offer - you won't be the one everyone hates?

I love this saying. There's always an asshole on a GC trip. If you don't know who it is by day 5, it's YOU! Pretty funny.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote