Old 11-12-2014   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Boise to Smith River, CA

I got a little inspiration watching this video. It sure would be nice to paddle in 60 degree weather with great camping in a redwood forest. Any interest in this class 4 gem? It's only 10 hours away....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

When we quit believing in our corrupt political system, it will finally fall apart. REVOLUTION!!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014   #2
Coos Bay, 97420
I'm from there, although I live about three hours away now in Coos Bay. I just took a 14' raft down it last weekend but pulled out just before the gorge section. It's still a little low and narrow for the 14er. There was a group of kayaks going done though. I've rocked that section in some Ik's (Tahiti style) a few times. Absolutely gorgeous through there but only has a few good rapids in that gorge section and the rest are just maybe Class I or II. Scenery is unserpassed though... If you go, shoot me a PM.

Bradd B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014   #3
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've IK'd it before, it's good fun. Haven't done it this time of year. Probably has a good amount of water now though. Panther Flat campground is where I stayed whenever I visited.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #4
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Smiths are awesome. Short Vish gorges on the Middle (main) and South after class III. The real gem is the N Fk, I've only done it low. Would love to get on at higher flow. Was ripping when I checked last week!

Also III-IV above the III part on the middle, so said the guy we boated the Illinois with when we did the shuttle.

Great country, swing down around and do the Cal Salmon, and the Kalamath on the way and...

Swing up and do the OR coast runs...
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #5
the smiths are gorgeous. Don't count out the n fork because of the III-IV rating. One of the prettiest and most fun stretches I have ever done. We did go at high water but it felt like solid big water IV to me.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #6
Coos Bay, 97420
Where did you put in/take out when you did the North Fork?
Bradd B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014   #7
We had barefoot brad run our shuttle not really sure of the Putin. We took out at the foot gauge in gasquet. I'd recommend him, the shuttle is a bitch and you'll want good clearance. Definitely worth the $40-50 we spent. You can call ahead to book if you want. His number is on some of the write ups ( I think ca creeks lists it). You can also knock on his door the day before and he is usually game or will know someone who is. His house is on the highway in gasquet and has a suit of armor holding a paddle onthe window.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote