Old 08-15-2010   #1
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Boise Camping?

Anyone have a good camping spot close to downtown Boise. I will be in town for New Belgium's TOUR DE FAT next weekend and I need a camping spot (on a river or lake) for thursday friday and saturday nights.

Thanks for any leads...!

smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Yeah... I just moved out here to Boise a couple weeks ago. I know of a little spot you may be able to camp out at, but I'm not really very familiar with it yet. Head north up Reserve Street off of State street (right out of down town). There's some public land after a few miles. Not sure what the regs are regarding camping, or if there are many spots near water. Good luck.

There's also camping in Boise at a campground along the river for $20 a spot.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks outlaw. I just google earthed that area and it looks doable.

smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #4
Boise, Idaho
Lucky Peak Reservoir

I am not sure that there is any camping allowed off of Reserve, it is in the foothills and is managed by the City as the Ridges to Rivers trail system. Link: Ridge to Rivers Trail System I have not scanned the page to see about camping, but it may contain some information about camping. Definitely will not be any camp fires or fire boxes allowed in the foothills right now.

The parks along the river will not allow camping, I know that for sure, but there is plenty of camping at Lucky Peak Reservoir and the camp sites are on the water. Lucky Peak is about 10 -11 miles to the East of Ann Morrison Park, where the Tour De Fat is located. You can ride the Greenbelt from the Lake to the Park by bike, just assuming your will be taking the festival in on a 2 wheels, should be about a 25 min ride but slight down hill from the lake, so the ride home will be a little longer depending on the amount of NB beverages you consume. If not it will be a 15 min car ride back and forth. Lucky Peak State Park You have to cross the Dam to the east side of the lake for camping spots.

gd_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #5
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Hey GD,
On the LP State park website it says no camping. If you drive across the damn are you considered out ot the park. I was looking at the map and it looks like the Middle Fork comes into the res. Is there disperesed camping along the middle fork..
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #6
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
It is a long bumpy drive out to the middle fork and it can be hot at LP. There is a small campground up near bogus basin at Shaefer Butte. It is about 16-18 miles but 3000 feet higher and cooler. There are 7 sites up there
ahogenauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010   #7
Boise, Idaho
There are sites along the lake and out of the park areas. Sandy Point is right below the lake and Spring Shores is on the road to the Middle Fork. MF is out there a ways, it is not terrible out there though. Good rainbow fishing right now. Lucky Peak will be as hot as any place in town, 90 is the high on Saturday, but your camping so your out of your tent once it is real warm and your next to a lake to swim in.

Shaefer Butte is nice but you have to drive up the road to the ski resort and after Tour de Fat it could be hairy. Twisty road, nothing crazy, but after too much fun not the best drive. Definitely cooler, NWS pinpoint shows 73 high and 47 low Saturday, as well as in the treeline with a good view is the pros.

gd_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote