Old 05-04-2010   #11
Instead of paying a ton for the out of print Idaho book, check out The Idaho Paddler by Sean Glaccum. When in Jackson Hole, check out Rendezvous River Sports. They produce an area map of the local rivers. Whitewater Southern Rockies has more of Wyoming, but there isn't much whitewater along I-80.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1990
There are a ton of fun runs in the Jackson Hole area that time of year. The Hoback, Snake are great Class 3 runs with good playspots at every level. Everything is very water dependent, and this year we don't really know what the flows will be at that time of year? It is still snowing up here? Rendezvous River Sports ( has a river runners report page on the website which will let you know what is running when the time gets closer, or give us a call (307)733-2471 and we will let you know what is in. Shuttles on the Alpine Canyon section of the Snake are super easy mid summer with all of the raft companies and private boaters, but there is a shuttle service in the area if you want (307)690-JOHN. Let me know if you have any other questions on the Jackson Hole area.

Jacksonholekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #13
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Rendevous Kayak has an online guide with the Alpine section of the Snake (and also the Greys (IV due to snaggletooth rapid can be portaged, and Gros Ventre). The hoback River is an easier class III, if it is still running at nice flows during your trip.

Rendezvous River Sports : Online Kayak Guide - Rendezvous River Sports

As all said, the Staricase and Canyon sections are a blast on the South Fork of the Payette, But with your paddling class (III) i would skip the Canyon.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

I wanted to thank everyone that has posted. It has all been extremely helpful. I'm excited to do a little more research with the details everyone has supplied. I love boating in Colorado, but there seems to be some great runs both in WY and ID.

Thanks again, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote

boise, class iii, jackson hole, shuttle, kayaking