Old 09-08-2008   #1
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Black Canyon Sept 26/27/28

Planing on shredding the black canyon last weekend of September. Friday 26-Sat 27-Sun-28.

Having never been down before I plan on 3 days running all the way to the Pleasure Park.

Looking for some one who has done the run before and would like to show us the lines. 6 pack of beer your choice.

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008   #2
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
If you don't find someone get the new guidebook. We used it for our first time down this weekend and it worked great. Also the description on eddieflower helped.
What an amazing place. Best river trip I have done. Portage was not as bad as I expected (long but managable) and the views are as good as it gets. We were all really overwhellmed at how beautiful it is in there.
Tips from a first timer, me: Good hiking shoes and ipod for the portage (and stay high. On the trail and..... And dry weather is key. Rain could really nuke a trip in there in several ways including the drive from the take out.
Cutch and Evan: Your book was spot on for everything. Rapids, portage and ivy. I think I am starting to itch right now.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #3
Denver Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks Hobie for the info.

I am going to run this one with Buck (he's my brother). So far it looks like it will just be him and I. All the more adventure I guess...
davidcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I found this link helpful .

Was trying to put together a raft trip down there last week but it didn't happen. The list seems to give a clue to how many other times you will be portaging besides the big one.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
According to this there are something like 17 solid class V rapids? Is that true? My understanding was that with a few judicious portages it was mostly class IV/V-.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #6
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
You can turn it into a class IV+/V- run by doing a few extra portages, but it is a place that you should have class V skills & experience. One wrong move, and your in a sieve. That being said, I could not agree with Hobie more. It truly is an awesome place with rapids of the highest quality. It is certainly no place to go though if you can't deal with a tough portage, sieves, and a touch of poison ivy.

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon