Old 12-09-2014   #1
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Black Canyon of the Colorado

Has anyone been to Black Canyon of the Colorado below Hoover Dam? Thinking it might be good place to get on the water and camp in a canyon in the dead of winter. From the map it looks like there are hot springs and beaches. I'm wondering if its jammed full of Las Vegas tourists? Any input would be appreciated... Thanks.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Vegas and Black Canyon attract different types, generally... pretty much empty year round, a few day trippers that run with the couple of outfitters that offer trips there (mostly canoes or sea kayaks/sit on tops). Wasatch Mountain Club does a trip there every February or early March, usually 2 nights in the canyon I think. You can stretch it out as long as you want, if you get a nice stationary high pressure out of Baja or SoCal you'll have bluebird days, clothing optional. Nights a fleece and fire feel good, beaches are small but manageable, hikes and attraction sites scattered but available - plan your trip and likely you won't see anyone...

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014   #3
I agree with the above. I have done it as a day trip and thought it would be a sweet place to spend 2 nights.
If I recall the hot springs were in the first half. I do not claim to know the location of all the hot springs. I do believe at least one hi spring is accessible from a hike in....... Could have some company
Beautiful place.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
There is a "shuttle" service you can pay to bring you and gear in the road below the dam. They are required to wait until you launch down stream for security purposes. Ive only hiked in at Goldstrike canyon which leads to the river and some decent hotsprings. The parking area is the first offramp on the NV side of the new bridge. There is also the "sauna caves" upstream from there that are cool. Some people will attain upstream from willow beach to make it a longer and less expensive trip. Try for midweek if you can. Willow beach and those hotsprings are busy on the weekends.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the responses everyone. Sounds like it might be worth coming down and spending 3-4 days in the canyon, mid week during a dry spell in January or February...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #6
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
Lmeyers. I just did it not too long ago with a guide down there. Got a hitch up via motor boat and floated down for a few days. Pretty cool canyon, lots of great hiking. The hot springs were filled with people and pretty gross. I would float it again, but I would stay away away from the "main hot springs". The camps are crowded, we had a great little one and had the place to ourselves. The AZ hot springs and boy scouts springs can be accessed by foot. lots of people there. It is a great stretch of river, but the springs are overused. We rolled up to the AZ springs and there was a "meet up" group from southern Cali. it was like a 40 year old frat party, dudes passed out in the springs. Totally gross. Mid week may bring solitude, but expect to see lots of people. Stay away when a full moon or near one.
If you come to AZ let me know your dates, been checking out some low flow trips.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #7
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I used to live and guide down there. It is scenic and incredibly rich with wildlife. Human history around every corner. You can call black canyon river adventures for a permit. Pm me and I may be able to help have my cousin run your shuttle(might save some money). My only complaint is all the people. Colleges, meet-up groups, tourists. There are fire rings, to, and feces at every camp/hike area. I took the superintendent up on it, and he wrote me back saying that groovers and Fire pans are required, but I can attest that there is zero enforcement on that whatsoever. Anyway, do it right, set a good example and educate people you run across and enjoy it. It is a really cool spot.

amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon