Old 11-03-2011   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That was a quality video. Thanks for sharing. It's cool to see you guys work those packrafts.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #22
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Nice job! Sounds like a rather packraft-specific route (long hike in that I would not want to carry a hardshell down; plus the portages). Those 2011 Alpackas sure look less prone to sternsquirting/endoing, and better tracking. Might have to try one sometime.
Looks like you've hit it UP recently (looking at youtube)! I live 3 hrs from Murtaugh, and haven't managed to get up there this fall. Nice packraft vid of Little Niagra to Satans Gut too; I didn't know you could re-enter a packraft like that.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #23
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Nice vid, I just got back from the Grand, glad that you guys made it in there.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #24
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2008

Thanks Jeff. Great running into you at Westwater. The information you gave us helped us feel confident while in there, it would have been more nerve racking getting in there and feeling everything out. Doable but nerve racking.

About a week later I started getting dermatitis. I was in Zion at the time and I did see a very little amount in there. I think I had a delayed reaction (or it was on my backpack). It was worth it though.
vtpackraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #25
Atlantis, .
The first descent of the Black Canyon was in 12 foot wooden oar boats. Food for thought. Maybe kayakers are just soft!
The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pretty sweet ! Always wanted to hike in at Warner,when i was in shape and more gung ho.Going DOWN SOB didn't look as bad as expected.If you can be reasonably sure stuff above your ability is portageable [ don't go into cliffed in V ] i think there are a lot of class V adventures available to class IV boaters. Seems like Black Canyon is mostly portageable and could be a good low water adventure if guys are tubing and running it or on air mattresses and wood boats.
That said i heard a story about two guys that got into the kind of predicament several early posters warned about. A good duckier with big balls and terrible judgement took some dude [ ducky] with minimal experience into the Black .The guy had a nasty swim early on and lost a boat.It took them a couple grueling days to hike out,they didn't bring enough food and had quite the ordeal,luckily not worse.So have some skills and do your homework,still topos don't tell you everything.I have gotten jnto some spectacular areas accessible only to kayakers by running the IV and under stuff and portaging a lot.

Those boats really make carrying in easier !!! VTpackraft you ought to check out the Copper Canyon area SIERRARIOS.ORG !!!
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #27
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
There is no "easy" way to do the Black. The problems are that if you don't know the canyon and want to portage all of the Class V you will have to scout every horizon line and portage a lot. This means more time, hence more days and supplies or very long days which all leads to fatigue which leads to accidents which leads to hard, long rescues. Portaging all of the hard stuff would in itself be as risky as running them because the river banks are mostly steep with huge boulders and big drop-offs. The rapids are easy compared to some of the portages. This is why the canyon sees rare descents by Class IV boaters.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #28
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's definitely not easy, even if you hike in below the V ,it's work.It wouldn't be much of an adventure if it were. Somehow even less skilled people with crappier equipment made it through,just tough adventurous determined bastards.Some die trying too
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011   #29
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.....old school trips.....

.......if you do your homework, you'll find out that they did those earlier runs at 100-150cfs.....portaged everything, floated only the flat shit.....and it took them a month.....canyon traversing basically.... we ran half the canyon in a 2 person inflatable canoe at 850cfs....super fun but sketchy....13hrs after putting on we topped out at the north rim campground.....a wild epic to ascend out CRUISE the dark, without proper gear(beaners, headlamps)....had to wait for lightning to strike so you could se the next climbing shit.... not nearly as fun as our recent attemp to tube it at 350cfs.....dork boy 420 cb....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon