Old 04-28-2016   #1
Eden, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Big Creek in 4 days (including flight in) possible?

I'm looking to get a Big Creek trip planned for early June and wondering about the logistics. I've read a few blogs from people who've done it and as best I can tell, they've spent two nights on Big Creek (3 if you include the first night after the flight into the landing strip).

What I'm looking to do is fly from Stanley (or Salmon) to the landing strip on a late afternoon flight. Camp that night at the landing strip, spend two nights on Big Creek (2nd night close to the confluence of the MFOS) then paddle out on the 4th day.

Does this sound feasible? Can anyone who's run it let me know if my days are off (need another day to do it)?

appreciate any advice and would love to hear more about the creek from those who have run it.

Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #2
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Easy 2 night schedule on big creek. You could do in one night. But keep in mind that whole upper end down to Monumental Cr will have lots of logs and would not hurt to have a relaxed first day and scout more. Tons of incredible camp options once below monumental. Second night at cabin creek or closer to Taylor Ranch. Bottom 7 to 9 miles will go fast, but I would scout downstream from camp the night before .

boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #3
Eden, Utah
thanks much for the info.

What would you suggest for a map? Just a regional topo?

What other gear suggestions would you make? I'm going to secure my permit today and I'll get all the other deets from the ranger I talked to yesterday, but would be nice to have someone who's done it gimme the scoop on what items are must-haves to bring.

thanks again.
Old 04-29-2016   #4
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
I've never floated Big Creek but have hiked it. Just like what boicatr said, I remember there being plenty of strainers in the creek so an extra day of travel wouldn't hurt.

The upper section can be bony as you go through the canyon, the middle section is wider but where I remember seeing lots of logs, and the lower section canyons up again and should be a blast.

A topo map is all you really need and of course a fly rod with extra sculpzillas. IDFG has a weir on big creek down by taylor ranch that you should be aware of.
wickums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #5
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1997
I've done the lower 4-5 miles as a hike up on a middle fork self support 2 years back. Fun run, fast and furious in the bottom. A good amount of wood too. Be careful. It's a decent bit to the takeout from the confluence mabye 20+ miles but at that time of year the middle fork is cooking so easy to do in a day.
Ctowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #6
Eden, Utah
Sweet mother... permit = got!

I'm not gonna be able to sleep for a month cause I'm so fawking stoked!

FYI, this is what the ranger suggested for a map in case anyone else has this question in the future: Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness (North)

I'm sure I'll be coming back here as we get closer and I start trying to nail down items I need, but for now, I just have this one last question:

bivy or one man tent?
Old 04-29-2016   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What permit is needed to do this?

Obviously not a MFS permit if you're dong it in a day.

If it were me, I'd pack both the bivy and the small tent, then leave the tent in the car if the weather looked promising.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016   #8
Eden, Utah
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
What permit is needed to do this?.
Just a wilderness permit. Just a matter of calling the ranger district and having them issue you one.