Old 03-16-2008   #1
Big Bend National Park

Wondering if anyone has any good river trip knowledge or hiking info or anything else awesome for the Big Bend of the Rio Grande down in 'mess with Texas'...

I'm heading there the end of March and have a few days to kill in that area. Are there any day trips on the Grand?

Thanks buds

watahwatah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008   #2
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Santa Elena Canyon

S.E. Canyon is sweet. Did 5 days in canoes in July years ago. Check flows, really variable, but if good water, a super sweet trip. All kinds of side hiking with fresh water springs. Watch out for flash flooding in flats if t-storms loom, camp high is all I can say. Long shuttle. Terlingua's good beer drinkin' stop after endless drive to get there. The beer drinkin' goat Mayor & Barbarosa are out there still...

Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #3
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
santa elena is indeed one of my favorite trips in the area, and i've done em all. put in a at lajitas, and take out just past terlingua creek. its a great 4-5 day trip, and you won't be dissapointed.
its basically a float trip, with no significant rapids . although when the water is up, over 4 feet, you better be on it, cause every thing changes.

there is a rapid known as rock slide, that makes me pucker every time i see it, and i have never seen it when things were running. Im a class 5 rafter, class 4 kayaker, and it has potential to be extremely wicked.
a great source of info for the terlingua area is
I use them everytime im there, and on their side of the park.

make sure you go to the hot springs near Rio grande Village.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #4
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
sorry, just noticed that you asked for a day trip.

the only day trip in the area is in colorado canyon, upstream from lajitas. I think its about 9 miles. if it were me, and i have a few days to kill, I would hit one of the loop hikes, or hit several of the day trip hikes, and forget the boating. ( forgive me) but one day just isn't enough time on the river, and IMO, you could see some wicked cool areas on foot.

One option, that would be WELL worth the time, and money, would be to rent a duckie from desertsports, take it to the terlingua creek observation area, and paddle upstream to fern canyon. the water is usually low enough that this is done more than you would think. you could easiliy spend a day in fern canyon., and do some other hikes in the area. make sure your tank is full, all the time.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #5
Indian Hills
Check out Southwest Paddler
for trips and river flows
With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, big bend