Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2013   #31
Jenks, Oklahoma
I am not a lawyer, policeman or border patrol agent. Just a standard issue US Citizen who has interacted with all three types. Lawyers in court, policemen and border patrol agents on the side of the road sometimes in out of the way places.

It is my opinion that the non lawyers among us can attempt to use little known sections of the law to keep authorities from doing a search of us or our vehicles. It is also my opinion that the above named authorities will find a way to a keep you there while they call in other's to further check you out or find some minor issue with your vehicle that lets them either search or tow your vehicle away. I know for sure this type of deal has happened.

Bottom line, based on my experience, a person trading barbs with the authorities had better know what they are doing and be prepared for what may happen if the situation gets out of control. The authorities have control of the situation and you might end up in jail as you wait for your day in court. I have had my day in court and it did not turn out well. But, if you have the goods in your vehicle, it is up to you as to how you want to deal with the authorities.

Old 12-05-2013   #32
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks again everyone. All the replies are appreciated.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
Old 12-05-2013   #33
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I found this video highly enlightening, granted it's about a gun not safety gear but the three questions "Am I being detained? What am I being charged with? and Am I free to go?" Appear to be the only things I will say to an officer who is harassing me for no reason other than the fact that he ran across me.

Law Student -Schools- Policeman On His Gun Rights.mp4 - YouTube
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Old 12-05-2013   #34
Dillon, Montana
Don't let all the govt stuff scare you away. Santa Elena is a spectacular canyon, and a great winter float; and if you've never been to Big Bend NP, it's well worth seeing. All the BS is just the nature of floating, or even being, in any National Park. Just follow the regs, and keep your goodies stashed.

RE: wingnuts- Quoting the constitution won't prevent your vacation from being ruined. As it currently stands, they are allowed to run dogs outside your vehicle. If they alert, it's probable cause. If you've been burning on the rio, and your dirty river clothes are in your vehicle, the dogs are going to alert. Just don't have anything on you on the way out. Also be careful of your route in, since there are "scenic" routes that have you go through the inspection side of a checkpoint on the way in.

If the dogs don't alert, or there are no dogs, they may still ask to search. If there are dogs, and you are holding; or if there a no dogs, but your stash isn't well stashed, you might chance refusing, since you are likely to get busted anyway. I recently consented, even though the dogs didn't alert, because I knew I had nothing. They track everything on the computer, from both sides of the checkpoint (the guy will be on a laptop before questioning you), so I figured it might come in handy on a future encounter to have let them searched this time.

Also, like I said earlier, the entire park is like a checkpoint, dogs and everything. Locals don't even go into the park very often because of it. There is very low visitation at Big Bend, and I think the boredom causes the rangers to be overly agressive about small stuff. It's common to get a daily ranger visit even at remote backcountry campsites. I try to stick to the Rio and Terlingua. Sadly, Terlingua's old time sheriff recently retired, and was replaced by 2 sheriffs, one of whom is an A-hole. Luckily the locals usually keep tabs on his whereabouts, and openly announce them at the bars.

In Texas, there is nothing equivalent to National Forest in the Rockies where you can drive in and do pretty much as you please. For that reason, many people when wanting to get away (after they have seen the park), are now choosing to go the Texas State Park called Big Bend Ranch. There are many fewer rules, and rangers. Fires, mountain biking, off roading, etc., are all allowed there, and it's almost as big as the national park.
Old 12-05-2013   #35
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Here's my trip report from the Lower Canyons below BBNP. It's a great place to paddle in the winter if the snow sucks.

Huckin Duckie: September 2011

Old 12-05-2013   #36
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Awesome thread. high adventure.
Logan , i have to work that weekend so I am def. out, but if it doesnt work out, Plan D - stop back on the way through Northern NM and i'll get you a voucher for Santa Fe, or we will go hit up Taos....

actually that offer is standing anytime you want to come down. And hopefully we'll get on the Salt sometime soon.
Old 12-06-2013   #37
Austin, Tejas
Here's a video of a low water run through Santa Elena a few years back (on Thanksgiving).
It's an awesome place and a massive wilderness.

I appreciate the fact that you Coloradians are so nervous about TX law enforcement, and rightfully so. As someone who has ventured south of many a checkpoint, bring what you want, use it all on the river, don't carry anything back (including paraphernalia). Be polite and respectful when going through a checkpoint and you will seldom have an issue. I'd be more nervous about having Colorado license plates when stopping for Lunch in West TX.
Old 12-06-2013   #38
Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks Paddle like Hell, that's where most of my apprehension is coming from.... the fact that I will be in the danger zone with a Colorado plate. No matter where I stash said goods, if they want to search me hard, it will be found...... and maybe it just shows how big of a pot-head I am (yes, it's legal and I'm not afraid to state it publicly), but I don't want to travel 1000 miles to do a 5 day float without smoke. So I truly thank all of you who have posted replies, but at this point me and "the crew" are thinking we will have a less stressful time just going to AZ and trying to get a minimum flow Salt trip..... with backup options.

Not ruling it out yet, but I don't like to stress.

Oh and Abe, we got 3 days at Taos again with the Monarch Pass..... plus I really like Red River, so you can count on me coming south to ski sometime soon.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
Old 12-07-2013   #39
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
I never saw the video till now. That was the trip where the Mini-Me frame was inspired from. It had nothing to do with your lovely wife! Good times! The Park is awesome Imyers. I have never been searched down there. Just leave/use the goods South before you come home.
Old 12-07-2013   #40
Jenks, Oklahoma
Cannot vouch for the legitimacy of this web site but if true, it explains some of the stuff discussed in this thread.

» VIDEO: Homeland Security Searches Vehicles at Ferry Crossing Checkpoint Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Closed Thread