Old 04-04-2012   #11
13.5' isn't that small- I've run a lot of week long trips in a 13 foot boat with full beer rations and group gear/food and know a number of people that do the grand in 14' boats. With 3 bays and no passengers you should have 2 coolers or cooler+drybox, with a ton of room in front of the front cooler and behind the back cooler for drybags/beer/chairs/groovers/cots/trash/firewood/etc. Get an everything bag or a drop floor (or just pack stuff that can get wet on the floor) and you can pretty much bring whatever you want.

td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #12
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
You should be fine. You don't need to have all your beer on ice, let the river do it for you, the water is cold. You have to pull your drop bag in when in rapids, which is often on the MF, but you'll save a lot of cooler room.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #13
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Depending on what personal and group gear you are carrying the size should not be an issue at all. I have run my 12.5' self support for a week with two people, no problem.

Think about the gear you will be carrying, it will help determine if you run a cooler and drybox or two coolers.

To add more storage space to your raft, consider lashing drybags on the left and right of your legs in the rowers compartment or adding a drop floor and attaching rocket boxes. Add side rails so add space to lash down ammo cans, first aid kits, etc. Cargo floor for the front and the rear for loading up gear and keeping it off the floor.

I attached a photo of a buddy's 13ft otter on a four day trip with one passenger. He easily had room to add another three days of food.

There are lots of old threads to get info on all of these options, feel free to continue the thread if you have questions...
Lets talk side rail racks
More Games with Frames
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9250257.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	941.7 KB
ID:	4507  

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote