Old 04-16-2010   #21
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
River Keg Fridge

Haven't built the prototype yet, but here's the idea: A quarter barrel (small skinny keg--full kegs are called half barrels ) fits on it's side, on a bed of ice blocks, in my 85 qt cooler. Newly found by SimpleMan online is an adaptor that allows one to use a little 2lb C02 tank like used in paintball, to power the keg. The fittings, hoses, and C02 tank fit INSIDE the cooler, while the little dispenser hose comes out the drain plug. Hose is long enough to hand to a kayaker or pass to another raft. It's fully self contained; you never have to open the cooler. I imagine that the ice blocks would last three to 5's on. If you see an old school gray Riken 14 sporting a half lit FoCo hippie out on the river this summer, come over and ask for the hose. Password is "beer please." Pictures of the prototype and schematics will be available on the buzz shortly.

Dude, I'd see you on the river but I'm hardly ever out there.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #22
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
At camp - 1 part gin, 2 parts ginger ale

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #23
pollock pines, California
Paddling Since: 2005
Don't forget your favorite breakfast drink! No not coffee, bloody Mary's. Mix all your favorite crap in big old juice containers then just add booze and ice if you have it. .......And a keg.
fishguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #24
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Ooo...bloody mary's do sound great!

We did the pop kegs with home brew on the Dolores last year. It's nice to have good beer. We used some of the little CO2 cartridge dispensers. They worked great except we found the keg running once. We had three though.

On that note...I'm headed to the pub.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #25
to add to the craft beer list....Pugs in Dillon is canning some of their beirres now!
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #26
Durango, Colorado
If we've learned anything from this rant, it is that Simply Lemonade is the shit....
The simply susans, so far, have gone down as the best drink we've come across. Invision a pint glass: Good vodka a quarter to third, club soda to one inch below the top (if you're lucky and need the bubbly on your tongue - water will do just fine if you're not), and fill the rest with simply lemonade.

The secret is that you really don't need a bunch of sugar-filled shit to make your drink taste perfect. Just enough to taste and equate all the
MountainSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #27
Ridgway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Best drink on the river is a Banger...Brandi mixed into Tang. Light weight and refreshing.
evanslowande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #28
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
IF it's cooled off enough after dinner (maybe unlikely for Deso Gray in the middle of summer) - save the beer and mix up a mug of hot water, add some powdered cider mix and some Wild Turkey 101. Sippin 'round the fire, and it packs a big punch for the amount of room it takes up.

I still like the ease of a can of beer while rowing. A Shandy sounds good though.

We took some Mike's Hard Lemonade on a middle fork trip - that stuff, while pretty sweet, will kick your ass - felt like 2 Mike's did the work of 3 beers. It was nice alternative switch back and forth, until about day 5 when we ran out of beer and only had lemonade. Then folks were desperate for a beer. Mike's now makes a Hard-er Lemonade that's 8%, so that might be worth taking a few sixers.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #29
New York, New York
I think u should choose Red Bull energy drink in stead of whisky. It'll make u stronger.
earlysummer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #30
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dutch Rudder: A and W, Captain Morgan

Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote

river drinks