Old 11-15-2015   #1
El Dorado Hills, California
Paddling Since: 2006
Best Colleges for Boating

I am applying to colleges soon and am wondering what are some great academic schools with some great kayaking near by. Colorado at Boulder, Oregon, and Washington are currently at the top of my list. Would those be good options? Any other suggestions?

EHowKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #2
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
What are you looking to study?
Not considering the East Coast at all?

RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
WVU is pretty close to some good stuff. DC has a lot of creeks and great falls on the Potomac...and there are a dozen or so colleges around the capital. Appalachian State could be fun.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #4
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
If kayaking is the primary criteria, then Boise State is it. The rest of them require you to study leaving no time for the primary motive.
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Man there are good boating rivers everywhere! Choose your college based on the program, you will find boating nearby.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #6
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I recomend skipping the whole college thing, and becoming a raft guide/ski bum instead,
Guiding is the BEST way to ruin your life in one summer, live in a van down by the river, become completely spoiled having a job you enjoy, never make any money, destroy your sense of direction in life, never amount to anything, spend your college tuition at the bar.

It was awesome!! I couldn't be happier.
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Scratch Boulder off your list and you have a couple of good options. I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before on here - do some searching.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #8
boulder, Colorado
Boulder is pretty prime. they have a good whitewater park right through town, and some good creeking up boulder canyon and you are close to clear creek in golden, st.verain in lyons, south platte, Arkansas river, poudre river and many more. There is plenty of amazing climbing and skiing in close proximity as well.
johnsnow420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #9
Golden, Colorado
Colorado School of Mines if you're into the whole engineering bit. It's a small, but tight kayaking club/community at the school and great access to nearby Clear Creek, South Platte, and other Front Range rivers. Will not provide year round boating, but depending on your commitment the season can stretch from March(ish) to November(ish).

Probably not the greatest school for boating, but I'm just providing a perspective that few others probably will.

But to piggy back on Gary...
Ninja_Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015   #10
Boulder is not prime for boating. The kayak season is very short and in the summer. You have summers off in college - you can drive to Colorado or California in the summer and get almost all the boating those places have to offer.

If you want a school for boating pick a place with fall/winter/spring boating. Pac NW or mid-atlantic/south east are your best bets.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote