Mountain Buzz banner

Best Class IV trip in August?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tmcdevit 
#1 ·
I'm going to be in a fortunate situation in August: I will have money and I will have time. I'm spending June/July in CO, which already looks to be a slow year and will have very little by August. Where should I go for August to do a lot of class IV? It would be nice if it were somewhere where I could find other boaters easily, as I might be on my own...

#7 ·
I'm going to guess that by August there's not going to be any one area in the 48 that has a lot of class 4. Most of the snow will be gone and what's left will be spring fed, glacier melt fed or dam controlled runs. But you could pick off what's left in Idaho, Washington and Oregon with some planning and some driving. To add to the variety, you could bring a playboat along and hit up some class 3 playruns as well.
I'm envious, have fun

#9 ·
Just checked out some of that Montana/Wyoming stuff on the AW site...looks great. The Swan, Rosebud and Alberton Gorge look like fun too (I'm guessing those go in August too). With Montana being a big place I assume some driving would be involved but what place would you use base out of?

#10 ·
Honestly Bozeman is great for a all round destination. South of town is the Gally which should be flowing still, bear trap is dam release and runs all year and is equal awesomeness for scenery. Than there's also the Yellowstone which should have some play boating still and if you need a place I have a place to crash.. If you want a little more Mesa falls only 2.5 If you want a sick waterfall. Quake is little under 2 hours for some good IV V, also lots of cool area to explore.. Good luck an have fun I'd Go for a lap in Cody get on the Shoshone and lower Clark's fork of the yellowstone. Than spend some time in Jackson..

#11 ·
I'd go to the PNW either Hood River area, or the Skykomish drainage. The North Fork, and Main will be running. The Foss river if you portage Ken and Barbie is class IV. Take your play boat down the Green River near Auburn, WA, Paradise Ledge is like Canyon Doors in Browns Canyon. Go over Stevens Pass to the Wenatchee drainage. Buy "A Guide to the Whitewater Rivers of Washington.". Hit up BC for Skoomchuck, if the moon cycle jives, and the Thompson. The Olympic peninsula has good surfing at Barbwire. It's really a no brainer.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I have a cousin who paddles up in Boise, so that sounds promising. I would love to do Black Canyon, but I'm concerned that might be a bit beyond me. Planning to lose my Bailey virginity this year, though, as well as Gore (have no choice -- not a lot of alternatives). For these further jaunts, I'm just concerned about making sure I can find plenty of peeps to paddle with, as I wouldn't want to go all the way to oregon to only paddle a couple times in 5 days if I couldn't find enough fellow slackers with time away from work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.