Old 03-18-2012   #11
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I'd go to the PNW either Hood River area, or the Skykomish drainage. The North Fork, and Main will be running. The Foss river if you portage Ken and Barbie is class IV. Take your play boat down the Green River near Auburn, WA, Paradise Ledge is like Canyon Doors in Browns Canyon. Go over Stevens Pass to the Wenatchee drainage. Buy "A Guide to the Whitewater Rivers of Washington.". Hit up BC for Skoomchuck, if the moon cycle jives, and the Thompson. The Olympic peninsula has good surfing at Barbwire. It's really a no brainer.

eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bailey Fest August 10-12. Some of the best class IV in colorado.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #13
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo

....gunnison river, BLACK CANYON, portage some shit, best(sketchiest) class 4 in the state....runs everyday the sun comes, bring elbow pads and a properly fitting helmet.......420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. I have a cousin who paddles up in Boise, so that sounds promising. I would love to do Black Canyon, but I'm concerned that might be a bit beyond me. Planning to lose my Bailey virginity this year, though, as well as Gore (have no choice -- not a lot of alternatives). For these further jaunts, I'm just concerned about making sure I can find plenty of peeps to paddle with, as I wouldn't want to go all the way to oregon to only paddle a couple times in 5 days if I couldn't find enough fellow slackers with time away from work.

tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote

august, class iv