Old 08-01-2014   #11
B'ingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2008
That's awesome to know, I really want to step up to class IV so far the only IVs i've paddled are oak springs (debatable IV) on the deschutes and elbow falls on clear creek. i did see the run is only 4.5 miles so spending some time on that rapid would make more of a day out of the trip. its obviously longer and more involved than either oak springs or elbow falls so i think following someone would definitely be the way to go.

KennytheJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #12
Sedro Woolley, Washington
We just got off the Sauk today downstream from the confluence with the Suiattle. Saw a big parked commercial bus for rafters with trailer - don't know if they were running the Sauk or Suiattle.

We're kind of new (to the forum and rafting) and enjoying learning all we can. I too am surprised by the lack of boaters on the rivers here (or should we feel fortunate?). This area is spectacular. The Skagit river system (Skagit, Cascade, Sauk, Suiattle) has all levels of runs and the drive upriver to get to them is awesome. Protected Bald Ealgle nesting habitat and big Elk herds (look for these in S. pastures before town of Concrete). Darrington (Suak River) is hoping to attract more folks after the Oso landslide. AW rates the Sauk from Whitechuck River to Darrington as class lll+ and "lower runable".

I'm glad to hear someone else is enjoying our rivers.

sauksister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #13
B'ingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2008
I have done some of the drives along the rivers around here in the past before I was a boater and I can definitely attest for the beauty of the area. I am really itching to get my boat in the magnificent water now. So would you be interested in letting a kayaker tag along with you sauksister? I am looking for literally anyone to paddle with raft or kayak doesn't make a difference
KennytheJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #14
Sure - good for us too. We are sticking to the easier runs though being relatively inexperienced. We are paddling a 12' Sotar which we roll to transport; have a truck but no trailer. My experience on the Nooksack consists of "rafting" with friends on truck tubes with a cooler in the middle at low levels. It would be fun to do it on the areas good for Kayak/raft. What we really love though is heading up the Skagit, so beautiful. A bit further from B'ham but very worth it! I'll give you a call and we can figure it out.
Old 08-02-2014   #15
bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
the sauk has some killer primitive camping along the river up the mountain loop highway as well
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #16
"the sauk has some killer primitive camping" Yes it does. That's one of my favorite dreams after rafting. Seeing a picture of a packed raft IS eye candy, glad so many are posted. Unfortunately time constraints keep us on the river only for day trips right now, but maybe sometime in the future. Rafting the river has been the most successful carrot so far to get our 16 yr. old doing stuff with us, so I'm thankful for small miracles.

Sorry B'ham didn't work out when you were here mtrafter but you sure picked a great place with Bend, Or.
Old 10-15-2014   #17
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey Kenny, I'm Mark and in same situation, just moved to Bellingham and looking for folks to hit the river with in the class 3-4 range. But im fine with class 2 as well, I have a solo canoe too, anything to get on the river. Im up for exploring near and far, the nooksack looks pretty close and convenient being less than an hr away. This next week I was hoping to boat tomorrow, Fri, Sat, Mon and or Tues. And whenever work allows in the future. Lets go get it, call anytime 630-415-6102
mdledebuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014   #18
Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
Washington Kayak Club

My brother, who lives in Bellingham, has done a lot of boating with the Washington Kayak Club Home - Washington Kayak Club, you might be able to meet up with folks from there.

Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote