Old 03-09-2012   #11
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
MM-So what kind of "bagger" do you use. I assume the bags can withstand the high heat of boiling?

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I just use the food saver bags, they work fine just make sure you get a good vacum tight seal and sometimes I will double seal the open end just to be safe.

ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #13
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Had a Seal A Meal from walmart. The heating element failed after about 8 months.

Now we have a Foodsaver brand we picked up at costco & its a pretty solid unit.

Don't skimp on the bags, cheaper ones don't seal as well and can fall apart while boiling or tear when you pull them out of the pot.

Accidents happen, and I have had a couple. But, as I learned from the Idaho contingent - always have emergency cans of chili and an extra bottle of whiskey in the bottom of your drybox & these little setbacks are easily managed.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #14
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I use my seal-a-meal a TON for river dinners. Sometimes lunches on the river arent the hour long beachside affair i would want them to be and have wished for a pre-made sandwich. Anybody pre-make and vacuum seal all their sandwiches for the week just before their trip? Not to be frozen but just to throw in the cooler.
Ben Bade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #15
DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
There is no such thing as an "extra" bottle of whiskey in my group! The extra cans of chili is a good idea though.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #16
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Lol gumby

Ben- not a bad idea. One nice trick is to pull allthe sandwich stuff out in the morning & have everyone make (and carry) their own. Then either eat on the boats or when you stop for lunch (at the hottest part of the day) its easy to pull the other stuff & you're not in & out of the coolers as much.
Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
There are some good recipes here for cooking bagging and freezing. Spaghetti sauce, Green chili and white chicken chili are really good. I like to make sausage gravy bag and freezeand bake biscuits for breakfast and pre-make breakfast burro’s wrap and freeze to go with the green chili. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #18
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
I ended up buying a food saver brand. I have used it on a few trips and it has made everything so easy. I made the meals in a crock pot, let them cool, and then bagged and froze them.
I really dig this method because instead of carrying a ton of ice, these meals are frozen and kept the cooler super cool. There were a few items like a green bean and shallot salad that I just made and bagged, didn't freeze. In camp all my meals were heat and serve. I didn't try boiling the bags, I just opened them and heated them. It was pretty easy. I suggest it. I do not think everyt trip I do, I will bag, but it is helpful. The only problem is they are not resealable in the field.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #19
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You can reseal bags in the field with a little device like this... I got mine cheap at the local Bed Bath and Beyond.

Tri-star Products Eurosealer Bag Sealer#

It takes a little practice to get it just right. Move along too slow and you melt right through the bag, too fast and you don't get a good seal. Make sure you disable the batteries before you store this in your kitchen box, I started a small fire when it turned it's self on! The stinky burnt plastic smell got into all my food, not so good.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote