Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 10-01-2011   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Bad Experience with outfittersatellite.com sat phone rental

Just a heads up, I rented a sat phone from Outfitter Satellite for a MF Salmon trip I did a couple of weeks ago. Got on the river and lo and behold it had a bunk battery, totally dead after a 5 minute call with no way of charging it, and we kept the phone turned off, when not in use.

No luck in trying to get my money back, or even a reduction in the overall cost. I would definitely NOT recommend this company for anything. They also charge you up front before you even get the phone, and you have to fax a six page form in, which (in retrospect) means you can't block or contest the charges on your Credit Card. And they kind of nickel and dime you all along the way.. Overall I spent almost $300 for a rental sat phone that didn't work..

In retrospect, I'd buy one of those "spot" satellite/gps/text thingies for $100 bucks and the annual service fee ($50) which would still be cheaper than these guys..

I'll chalk the whole experience up as a live and learn. But I just wanted to let you all know what I experienced...

kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I suggest you file a complaint with the BBB. They have a good rating their and would probably like to keep it. Don't roll over to these assholes.

Outfitter Satellite, Inc. Business Review in Nashville, TN - Middle Tennessee BBB

At least this looks like the right company when I did the quick search.

Or you could post up every day negative comments into your very own thread so that it starts to show up high in the search engines.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
great idea

as stated above, post it up here and on BoaterTalk as well.

Get the word out as to the service you got.

others can benefit from you sharing your experience.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #4
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
That would piss me off too. Carve dog is absolutely right--make a stink about this to the BBB and advertise your experience on all the boards.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #5
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The SPOT costs more like $150 and service is about $150 annually, but it's so sweet. I love being able to Google Earth tour my trip when I get home and you can check in with loved ones every day (or every 10 minutes) if you want. The new SPOT communicator in conjunction with a GPS or smart phone can even send text messages.

I prefer the combination of a SPOT or PLB and a cheap ground to air radio for the cost of a single satellite phone. More options, separating groups can each carry a device, and you don't have the high operating cost of a sat phone.

I really like this PLB for boating, and might dump the SPOT for it if I win the lottery soon. ACR Electronics Aqualink View 406 Personal Locator Beacon - Free Shipping at REI.com
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #6
Indianapolis, Indiana
Even if you signed papers prior, I'd still contact the card company if you used a CC and contest the charges. Let those fuckers work for their money. That's pretty much a scam they are running if they provided a bunk battery and wouldn't compensate for it afterwards.
bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #7
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I'm curious what their excuse was for the dead battery or did they try to blame you somehow? Sounds like a bullshit company to me.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #8
Boston, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Kev, that's bad luck. Did you rent an Iridium phone - I've always had really good experiences with them, although I don't get mine from Outfitters Sattelite.

Personally, I hate the BBB - they're basically extorting businesses to pay a subscription. Here's a nice article about them:
Hamas Rated 'A-' By Better Business Bureau, Starbucks Gets An 'F'

If you write a bad review, BBB won't mark their rating down as long as the company pay their subscription and reply to the complaint.

Like someone said earlier, you're probably better off complaining on forums like this - that way you're gonna help other people like you.
Woodcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #9
NJ, New Jersey
@Woodcock, where do you normally rent from? I can't find somewhere that doesn't have horrible reviews and had my own bad experience the last time I rented one.
cyn1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #10
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Cascade outfitters rents them

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote