Old 03-14-2011   #31
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Chevelon and East Clear Creek, the Climbings epic too:)

Chevelon and East Clear
Last year we came down from SLC and spent 3 days running Chevelon and then did an overnighter on East Clear Creek. It was my second time on Chevelon and first on East Clear. Both are great runs and are amazing and both have narrows as quality as the Black Boxes. These might be great runs that may be being overlooks by the non-super gnar seekers.

We did a forty mile run on East Clear and took out at the lake. We even managed a late start on the first day and had about 500 cfs and still pounded it out with time to spare. It is really an amazing canyon and aside from our entry, I would consider it one of the most realistic class 4 multi day box canyons runs around. Aside from the one sieve and the other sieving class 5- the run is most class -4-4. If you do this run do not run anything blind without boat scouting because a lot of the horizon lines look the same but the two hazards are serious and would be easy to boat into if you weren’t paying attention. The final gorge on East Clear is epic in beauty. The paddle out on the lake is long but doable.

The first time I did Chevelon was in a snowstorm that flashed the canyon but it was manageable. We encountered the monster log jams in there and had to use a mixture of boat leap frogging and other Vietnam gorilla type tactics to cross the floating log jams that were covered in snow with fast current underneath. Its really boxed in these sections and cool but not worth the hassle. We use the ranch take out the second time and its worth the effort. Not sure if the log jams are still in there, if not run it all the way out.

Both runs are right next to each other and are one of the best ways to spend 3-4 days on the water for sure without chasing flows all over the state which I have done a few times before. They are not the typical day runs or easy class 4 overnighter. Maybe a good way for a class 5 group to warm up for the overnighters later in the season or class 4 paddlers to step it up on a wilderness class 4 run The canyons are commiting and and no place to epic out at least in march anyway.

Anyway might be some good options if you get down there and flows get tricky.

Attached Thumbnails

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #32
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yeah Moetown those have always sounded good but kind of off the radar.Looks like Chevelon is still going .They are a little harder , more committing and longer[overnight] than the Fossil crew was looking for.There was a thread a couple years ago with more beta and some pics.I couldn't find it [ GOD'S POCKET CHEVELON] on the MB search ,but just google it, it is the second entry found.The directions in Tyler's book are a little vague; if anyone is really interested Riverwrangler PM'd me more specific directions a long time ago.I don't know how to shuffle a PM into a post or if it is ok with Evan,but if an admin can do it that might be good.Isn't Evan an admin?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011   #33
flagstaff, Arizona
East Clear Creek

East Clear Creek is pretty easy as a day run or a longer multi day. There are cattle roads that approach from both sides. For a day run you could drive up the east side heading south across the McHood reservoir bridge and drive as far as you want to run. 10 miles? 20 miles? depending on your skill level for a day. If you are running this day it will probably be easier to plan to rap in but there may be a hike down in there somewhere. Never having ran it I would plan on just stringing a rap line in if I only had a day. If I happened on a climb down, yeehaw. Directly above the reservoir there is a great climbing area. East Cleer Creek Climbing contains free water soloing, bolted routes(mostly difficult 11+) and cracks galore(5.8-12).

Approaching from the west side you are fenced off by the Hopi Trust Land which is run by a local rancher. He doesn't understand kayaking and thinks you are nuts but he is happy to give you the combination which is 1212 at the present. Close the gates and be cool. It's private property. If he changes the gate lock, call the # on the signs at the several entrances and meet him at the ranch house nearby and introduce yourself and let him know you are respectful. When I went their in January he asked me why I wanted in there and I said to check it out. He said don't you have any guns? I said no. Well you don't need to go in there then. ?? I finally told him I plan to kayak, he said I was crazy, but to let him know cause he wanted to see that cuz it wasn't smart From the pictures from SMC I'd say it's plum not smart to miss

So the best spot I found for a possible overnight or long daily was a hike down right at SMC's 5th picture. On the rim there is a stone house(pump house) with a 2 inch pipe that runs all the way down to the river. You can see how tight it is in this spot of the 5th picture. From highway 87 theres a road that goes south to north around table top mountain(sunrise mt). This road runs right along the edge of the canyon with a few walk ins. If you run to the north end you will hit the stone house. If you have one night to Winslow put in at the southern edge because the river looks pretty doable, and the shuttle is closer. If you are running a nugget put in here and takeout at the rockhouse? From here it appeared to me it was easier to run a daily closer to the reservoir as it's 20 miles. I heard there's a few must portages definitely no park and huck. There can't be a few days left? I hope Im wrong.

Mountain lions up the wazoo too

Old 03-15-2011   #34
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey mike.... I didn't mean anything bad talking about your vids. You do some sick shit and I respect that, but you give people a hard time on here sometimes. I was just doing some of the same. I think we're all ready for some liquid white!
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #35
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Good beta Moetown, thanks for sharing.

Cayo, can't you just cut and paste the pm?
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #36
flagstaff, Arizona
accessable not class ii

Rereading my post pretty easy as a day run I thought I should explain that I was talking about access. I probably should have said just accessable as the daily portion required routefinding, ppossibly rapping in with a kayak, and talking toa nice rancher that thinks the that holds the number one priority to access is killing. Easy is not thebest wording sorry. Doable?