Mountain Buzz banner

August 12 MFS looking for boaters

Tags
august
4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  QwertyAberration 
#1 ·
we are doing a small group and had some cancellations with some of our friends who can't spare the time.

I've got confirmed three and potential of 5. We have two gearboats and some IK's.

Looking for couple with their own boat and some good whitewater experience. Must be able to help spread out the group gear to minimize weight. If you can take a passenger (or while taking turns on the IK) that's a plus.

We are doing the whole boundary to the confluence. 7 nights. Its going to be boney at the top, we are planning for this.

we are 30-40 somethings. Nonsmokers. Right now just two guys and 1-3 women. We may have an occasional beer during the day -- don't float intoxicated, but have been known to let it rip afterwards. Its going to be a lot of work especially the first two days but its a great experience. PM me if you are interested.

If you are interested we will need a quick bio, some references (no psychos, or bipolars). Extra consideration given to those in Portland or around Boise. this is a shared expense trip. We usually do a pretty good spread for dinners etc but we are very conscious of costs, maybe $300 pp. We may fly some stuff into Indian if necessary

See less See more
#2 ·
Middle fork August 12

Have you found your extra boaters yet? I have a family of four. My wife and I are 50's with 19 and 17 year old sons who would go with us. I've been down the MF Salmon about 30 time, especially in low water. Have all my own equipment. My family's behehn down and my son rows the MF I have some interest in your trip if my family could go. We would take a cat (Aire jag) and a 15 ft Maravia self bailer. I know the river pretty well, I've gone down from Boundry in September with a fully loaded boat at least 20 times at less than 2 ft. Let me know if you are still looking and we can exchange more details and info.
Mike Sturmak
Eagle, Idaho

#13 ·
Have you found your extra boaters yet? I have a family of four. My wife and I are 50's with 19 and 17 year old sons who would go with us. I've been down the MF Salmon about 30 time, especially in low water. Have all my own equipment. My family's behehn down and my son rows the MF I have some interest in your trip if my family could go. We would take a cat (Aire jag) and a 15 ft Maravia self bailer. I know the river pretty well, I've gone down from Boundry in September with a fully loaded boat at least 20 times at less than 2 ft. Let me know if you are still looking and we can exchange more details and info.
Mike Sturmak
Eagle, Idaho
Mike, I sent you a PM.

#3 ·
Sturmak said:
Mike Sturmak
Eagle, Idaho
Hi Mike,

Spoke with the members of the group and one poopooed you because of the kids and one because of the adults. We have four definate confirmed and a group size of eight is likely going to keep us out of getting Sunflower campsite. So thanks for the offer but i dont think its a fit.

Wow must be nice to live in Idaho, i saw a july 4 launch come up on the site on July 3 --- i couldnt even load up my gear and drive down on such short notice. Sounds like you get a chance to go every year anyhow

Lou

#4 ·
Small rated camps are good to ten people. 8 is fine for this camp we did it three years ago with no problems. There are no really flat spots in the whole camp with exception to where the kitchen usually goes right above the lower eddy. Watch out for the toe stubbers. Nice just to throw shit to the boats ( not the propane can) form the kitchen.

#5 ·
carvedog said:
Small rated camps are good to ten people. 8 is fine for this camp we did it three years ago with no problems. There are no really flat spots in the whole camp with exception to where the kitchen usually goes right above the lower eddy. Watch out for the toe stubbers. Nice just to throw shit to the boats ( not the propane can) form the kitchen.
Toe stubbers and poison ivy anywhere you can step. We got this site on our first trip (group of five). The ranger assigning it told us they didnt release it to larger groups. I know the 10 is usually considered the small group cutoff but i was assuming the sparsity of the flat areas, impact from amount of use, as well as poison ivy that they would restrict this to smaller group sizes. Maybe i should just call the ranger and find what the official rules are as of this season

Carve -- Was it an assigned spot during the lottery permitted season?

Note to anyone lucky enough to camp here - expect to be assaulted in the AM by large groups while you are breaking down your camp. Totally worth it however

#7 ·
Yes it was assigned and this was post season launch on Sept 16th so it was the night of the 18th or so. Not sure if that helps or not.

III100 - we had five different spots scattered around and it worked ok for us. Not my favorite camp, but what a spot to spend the night.

#9 ·
Just off the MFS. A group of 11 camped at sunflower. I am not sure how they did it because it seems that six is about max, but they said something about only having one sleeping bag. It must have been cozy.

#11 ·
Slamkal,

I'm on a paddling road trip from NC with my buddy. We will be ending our trip near the MFS and would love to finish it with a solid multiday. Wasnt sure from the discussion above whether or not you found some paddlers for your trip but if you're still looking please let me know. Looks amazing!

Aj

#12 ·
Hi Just an update.

we secured a permit in late July so I will be releasing the August 12 date shortly. PM me if you really really really want to snag this permit I will tell you the precise moment we are releasing it. they post to the site within 24 hours after ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.