Old 03-19-2010   #21
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i will be in the tonto or oak area the next couple days. am up for either anything on oak or tonto box (not hellsgate), fossil, whatever. I am solo w/ bike shuttle. call if someone wants to boat-steven 970 596 1400

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #22
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
West Clear Creek

If you are looking for Class V, expedition, full committment check out west clear creek off of lake mary road down to camp verde. The water levels are perfect at 500 cfs. Multiple drops, but need river savvy, some rumored to be unportagable.

Attached images i hope.

Directions: East on lakemary road passed Happy Jack about a mile before the Happy Jack RV resort there's a bridge crossing drainage from Willow Valley dam that runs right into West Clear Creek. 10 miles or less to the motherload. It's a super committed expedition as the canyon is deep like fossil with no roads, deep snow on rim and 30 rivermiles to go. Possibly woody and some places the canyon is wall to wall water with no portagable routes. It's been done by Stan Mish and Tyler Williams? amongst a few others. Ask around the Oak Creek circuit while you are there.

928 856 0012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0711.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	2374   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0712.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	2375  

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010   #23
flagstaff, Arizona
Chevelon Canyon

Chevelon canyon has risen to 500cfs this morning. Rumored to be another epic out of the way, never runs but today run Be nice to the rancher

Old 03-21-2010   #24
Salt Lake City, Utah
Chevelon and East Clear

Last year we came down from SLC and spent 3 days running Chevelon and then did an overnighter on East Clear Creek. It was my second time on Chevelon and first on East Clear. Both are great runs and are amazing and both have narrows as quality as the Black Boxes. These might be great runs that may be being overlooks by the non-super gnar seekers.

We did a forty mile run on East Clear and took out at the lake. We even managed a late start on the first day and had about 500 cfs and still pounded it out with time to spare. It is really an amazing canyon and aside from our entry, I would consider it one of the most realistic class 4 multi day box canyons runs around. Aside from the one sieve and the other sieving class 5- the run is most class -4-4. If you do this run do not run anything blind without boat scouting because a lot of the horizon lines look the same but the two hazards are serious and would be easy to boat into if you weren’t paying attention. The final gorge on East Clear is epic in beauty. The paddle out on the lake is long but doable.

The first time I did Chevelon was in a snowstorm that flashed the canyon but it was manageable. We encountered the monster log jams in there and had to use a mixture of boat leap frogging and other Vietnam gorilla type tactics to cross the floating log jams that were covered in snow with fast current underneath. Its really boxed in these sections and cool but not worth the hassle. We use the ranch take out the second time and its worth the effort. Not sure if the log jams are still in there, if not run it all the way out.

Both runs are right next to each other and are one of the best ways to spend 3-4 days on the water for sure without chasing flows all over the state which I have done a few times before. They are not the typical day runs or easy class 4 overnighter. Maybe a good way for a class 5 group to warm up for the overnighters later in the season or class 4 paddlers to step it up on a wilderness class 4 run The canyons are commiting and and no place to epic out at least in march anyway.

Anyway might be some good options if you get down there and flows get tricky.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2280009.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	706.3 KB
ID:	2376   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280028.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	846.0 KB
ID:	2377  

Name:	P2280033.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	697.9 KB
ID:	2378   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280041.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	2379  

Name:	P2280044.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	605.1 KB
ID:	2380   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280045.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	2381  

Name:	P2280049.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	631.7 KB
ID:	2382  
smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #25
flagstaff, Arizona

Do you know what the flows were on Chevelon when you ran it? What's a guess for max cfs in East Clear Creek? Great shots! Did you see any petroglyphs in East CC?

***West Clear Creek put-in is half or less of the pictures above this morning 3/21. This morning I tried to run the upper 10 miles but snow didn't allow snowmobile access to a way out to work tomorrow All or nothing without snow.
Old 03-21-2010   #26
Salt Lake City, Utah

First time i ran Chev it was in a snow storm that was melting out as we were paddling. It never stopped snowing but we put on with 300 and it was probably running 800 plus by the end. Its was a long cold day and my friend actually ran the shuttle on a moto in the snow in a drysuit-LOL. It was cool though because there were big waterfalls everywere in the canyon. The second time I think it was a solid 450 off just melt so really steady. This was a decent flow below this would be scrapy but doable.

East clear was almost the same flow as Chev. The drainages are pretty similar but i think it could handle up to 1000 cfs which would be awesome-(Haven't looked at the guidebook in a while). The only rapid you can't really scout is in the last gorge whick is walled in for about 1.5-2miles. Its kinda a flume and would probably just get munchy. Really wouldn't want to swim there, not many places to get out.
smcboating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010   #27
flagstaff, Arizona
East Clear Creek and Chevelon coming about

By the looks of it, 400cfs at Chevelon and a 300cfs guess on East Clear Creek(judging by the Little Colorado) the rain on tues and wed, it might just push these two drainages into a dream run on Wednesday and Thursday! That's the loneliest country out there, with the sweetest slots. The climbers have gravitated to it like bears on honey. Thanks for all the helpful beta... what a great piece of memory you have stored from what most see as a wasteland

Wealth is life.