Old 06-11-2007   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Any noobs paddling at Fibark?

My girlfriend and I are going down to Fibark and are probably gonna paddle something easy (like the Milk Run or Stone Bridge to Salida) as we are beginning boaters. Any other new boaters planning on doing something similar? I'm just looking for safety in numbers (I know, there's nothing more dangerous than the milk run), and maybe a chance to find new people to paddle with. We live in Denver and are probably going down Friday morning. Reply here, or PM me.

rmalarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Since there are some people looking, but none responding, does anyone have any advice on finding people to paddle with when you're starting out?

Old 06-12-2007   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you can, get involved with a local crew of paddlers or a paddling club. Usually there's all kind of different levels. If you can find a group that regularly paddles class III you're usually good to go if they don't mind having you around, and the best thing for that is just to get a bomber roll so you don't swim. Given it happens. It's best to have some people in that group that are experienced too so they can give you pointers, pick you out of the water and can pull together minor rescue stuff. (Groups with rafters are often great with all this)

Once you feel a little more confident you can usually hang around a put in for a while and try and tag along with people. This works particularly well in CO on the weekends. But don't necessarily expect them to be super nice when they fish your butt out after swimming.

Anyway, all that's my two cents. And I'm sure some will disagree with just kickin' it and boating with the first to come along since it doesn't exactly promote safety. But neither does meeting people on the, whatever.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
Stone Bridge to Salida is nice, great views of 14ers, a nicer float IMHO than Milk Run. There are some "approaching Class III" waves on it, no big deal, but be aware. Killer diversion dam below Big Bend. Port or boat chutes on the left. Large log was floating around above the boat chutes a month ago...look for it lodged in boat chutes just in case. Best part is it ends in Salida, where all the fun will be. Have fun!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #5
Check out Colorado Kayakers :: Index
Its a fourm for the Swimmers & Class 2/3 boaters great place to meet others that won't be mad at you for swimming.
Some people there are heading out to FIBark.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. DanOrion, we actually ran Stone to Salida last year (minus the boat chute) and we'll probably end up doing it again.
Old 06-12-2007   #7
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My buddy shawn is going down to fibark and would like to paddle with some one in the class II-III sections. If someone wouldnt mind calling him at 970.485.2464, or PM me here.

Much thanks,
bigdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #8
oh yeah
i'm leading a colorado whitewater cruise on the fractions section of the ark this saturday. meeting at 2pm at the play park in buena vista. we'll be going slow, catching eddies, going slow, taking it easy, etc.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote