Old 12-05-2008   #1
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Any ideas for a northern Mexico trip?

Is there any good rivers worth driving to Mid January...We live in colorado and would love to hit some warm water somewhere. Maybe northern mexico below California/Arizona/New Mexico?

Any ideas??

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Check out It's a forum like this for boating in Mexico.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Kayak Huasteca - Welcome to Mexico! or

They can help you get to where you need to go with shuttles and gear and stuff. I think that you can PM PaddleTime on this forum for more info too.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Yeh I was hoping to not actually buy one of the trips but drive there myself camp out and paddle whatever...I'm not big on schedules...especially time dependent.

But thanks for the info!
Old 12-09-2008   #5
There is usually no water in Northern Mexico that time of year. Check out Rocky Contos's site http SierraRios Homepage. He has a daily, weekly and monthly precipitation chart for that zone.
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #6
Ok...flame me for not ponying up the $$ but its only 1600 miles to Tampico Mexico..I saw some beautiful waterfalls etc... 3500 miles is only $400 bucks in gas at $2 bucks per gallon...and gas is way cheaper. Camping out so only food is the other main expense...Just flying there is only 300 per person + renting equipment and car is less than a 2 person trip at 1300 per person. Is driving there a good idea and is the expense really just paying the guides and transport to the rivers??

I am really thinking a 2 week vacation would be cool and I can read a map to find rivers.

So, from those more experienced...what am I missing? River permits? getting robbed?
Old 12-10-2008   #7
you can always hit up copper canyon, its close to the border...great area, and the Tarahumara are cool people; its worth checking out if you dont want to drive far.
Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984

Lots of folks on this Forum have done the Tampico trip you're talking about (Cuidad Valles area, really). It's a very doable trip without guides, although solo cars without shuttles can mean multiple days paddling Micos or El Salto because they can be hitchhiked or walked. Most, if not all the put-ins can be found with some directions and maps from Buzz Mexi-veterans. But mid-January tends to be pretty much dried up for those rivers near Valles, unfortunately. This time of year (November / early December) is prime season. I've been down there after Jan 1st, and the pickings are slim. Micos was barely runnable, and options like the Verde, Santa Maria, Ojo Frio and the Gallinas are too low.

You might get lucky with rain, and El Salto is dam-released and runs regularly. So it not like it's not possible. But you should take a look at the Sierra Rios site to see what the flows are for January, because that area might be more reliable in flows due to the proximity to the Pacific.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote