Mountain Buzz banner

Any Beta on boating near JAckson Hole...

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  wayniac 
#1 ·
Hi Folks...

I'm headed to Jackson hole, well technically, Kelly Wyoming for a Wilderness First Responder Course in early August. While I'm down there I would like to get on the river....

But before I commit to haul my 13 footer and trailer down their I was hoping to get the scoop from some of ya'll. I'm curious bout:::

good day trips (as I don't have time for an overnighter)
sections to do
levels of difficulty
and anything else you think I should do or know about.

One more thing, I noticed on the internet that some outfitters take boats down with 15+ customers.
What's the deal with that? Should I be concerned in a 13footer all by my lonesome?

Thanks Mucho!!!

~Julie

#4 ·
Snake

I would try floating the section of the Snake below the Jackson Lake dam from Pacific Creek to Moose in the early morning for a truely scenic trip. This is about 20 miles and could be done in 4 hours or so. Moose, bison, eagles, pronghorn and all sorts of other critters are along this strech. This is within Grand Teton National Park and would require the entrance fee and raft fee but it is well worth it if you can bring some people with you. This is NOT white water but the lower half from Deadmans bar requires you know where you are going; it can get braided quick.
If you don't want to pay the fees, try floating from Moose down to Wilson. Just do it.

#5 ·
Thanks....

I really appreciate the beta. After thinking bout it I'm definitely gonna bring the boat. Especially considering, if I don't, I know I'll regret it.

I just hope the levels hold out until mid-August. I haven't spent much time in the Tetons, so I don't know what the snowpack or typical season looks like. Does anybody know about this?

tsavo,
you mention doing the float inside the park. Sounds great, thanks for the suggestion. You mention that the lower half below deadmans requires knowing where you're going. Well, considering i've never been down there, Do you think I could just read and run it? Following the channels of least resistance?

Anywho, loving the info....and feel free to hit me with some more. ;)

~julie

#6 ·
Deadman's to Moose is a beautiful stretch. It's not whitewater, but definitely worth your time. The river is braided and there is a lot of wood. You can definitely read and run it, just be careful which side channels you choose to run, as you are more likely to run into wood and sometimes they break up into smaller channels that are too small for a raft. South of town is the canyon stretch, which is easy class III whitewater, but plenty of fun. Otherwise, August is fishing season, which means bring your fly rod. You can fish Deadman's to Moose and the canyon. Wilson to South Park is another great, braided fishing stretch of the snake. Other good options (not whitewater) are the South Fork of the Snake (Idaho) and the Salt River (Wyoming). Have fun.:)

#8 ·
15+ people

It's a great river to run anytime of year.

Here's a link you might find helpful:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/btnf/teton/river/srhightlights.shtml

The link lists out three sections, the last is the most popular and has the rapids. The lower half of the page lists out the rapids you'll encounter on that 3rd stretch from West Table down to Sheep's Gulch.

In August it's a fairly tame float with a couple OK rapids - excellent for kayaking, tame for rafting. But the scenery on all the sections is fantastic, the weather should be decent. Afternoons can bring small rainshowers and some wind, evenings are nice when most people are off the water. Like anywhere, Fri/Sat/Sun will be the busiest days.

The flow of those sections in August will likely be around 4,000 -5,000 CFS, considered lower water. The river cuts through a deep channel - plenty of dive in and swim possibilities, especially on Section #3.

I've taken I've taken friends and family down in a 14' raft with kids as young as 2 no problem. The outfitters PACK their rafts full of people - as efficient as an amusement park.

If running the lower stretch (#3), heads up for the rangers running the boat ramps/parking lots. Launch and take out at the private side and keep a cool head and the rangers will be cool back. They put up with a lot of crap while trying to keep the throngs semi organized and out of the outfitters' way

Enjoy the river.

#10 ·
Hi Folks...

I'm headed to Jackson hole, well technically, Kelly Wyoming for a Wilderness First Responder Course in early August. While I'm down there I would like to get on the river....

But before I commit to haul my 13 footer and trailer down their I was hoping to get the scoop from some of ya'll. I'm curious bout:::

good day trips (as I don't have time for an overnighter)
sections to do
levels of difficulty
and anything else you think I should do or know about.

One more thing, I noticed on the internet that some outfitters take boats down with 15+ customers.
What's the deal with that? Should I be concerned in a 13footer all by my lonesome?

Thanks Mucho!!!

~Julie
Wow. Where to begin. I've been running different sections of the Snake near Jackson since 1985. So here's an abbreviated listing of what is possible. Inside the park the first section is just below the dam to the Pacific Creek takeout. Class one and two float through great scenery and wildlife. Pacific Creek to Dead Mans bar is another similiar section great for fishing and again, class one and two. Deadmans bar to the Moose Junction ranger station is by far, one of the most scenic quasi-wilderness floats you may ever do. You float directly in front of the Tetons and just about every bend is a mountain fresco. Note- You need a 'permit' to do this. Don't worry- you simply hit the ranger station at Moose Junction and pay 5$ to put a sticker on your frame. They also supply a map of sorts. For the Teton float it's class one and two, but the current is swift and there are braided sections with huge strainers to avoid. Most are simple moves though, for experienced boaters. The next float is Moose to Wilson. I don't recall much about this section. Then there's the Wilson bridge to below Jackson bridge class one and two and fair fishing. The next two sections are nearly identical- from this same bridge to Hoback Junction, and Hoback Junction to West Table takeout/putin. And now at the West Table putin you actually get into the 'whitewater' section- Alpine Canyon. And what's the class? You will find it listed as everything from 2-4. When you consider the fact that you don't need to make any major moves through the entire run, I would consider it class 2. But it's really BIG class two- and capable of flipping boats- even large boats. The swims are non-eventful. The main (flipper) is Kahuna- but you can miss this rapid on river right by yards if you want to. My 9 year old daughter rowed all of this section (minus Kahuna) at 9,000 cfs. All three of us swam 'Lunch counter' rapid on a warm afternoon just for fun. Be prepared for company- lots of it. Many commercials and lots of private boats in all sorts of craft- plastic dinosaurs- dragons- udiscos- you name it.
And it runs well after everything in Colorado is toast. Worth the 9 hour drive for sure. I can't give any info on the Grosvant or Greys but you may want ot pick up a copy of 'Paddle and Portage' by Dan Lewis. This could become (as it is for us) an annual pilgrimage.
boat safe
wayne

#11 ·
I'm getting excited...

Wow. What great info, and I'm super glad I asked you buzzards.

The float from deadman's down sounds so pristine, reminds me of when I lived in Montana and paddled some specular rivers there. I'll definitely check that one out. Having learned to paddle on a river that is famous for being constricted by logjams, I think I should be able to navigate that section. Just gotta stay on my game. Thanks for the heads up!

And then I definitely will check out the Snake canyon section, sounds like fun whitewater...but even more amusing will be seeing plastic dinosaurs floating down river. That will be a first for me. :)

My only other question is about a hydraulic called TAco Hole...
I've heard this hole has claimed a few lifes. Should I be concerned?

And wayniac,
thanks for adding descriptors of the sections and giving a full picture of what the character of river is like. That's always helpful.

Thanks again for spreading your knowledge! If anyone plans of being in Jackson around August 15th & 16th, let's go boating together.

~julie

#12 ·
Wow. What great info, and I'm super glad I asked you buzzards.

The float from deadman's down sounds so pristine, reminds me of when I lived in Montana and paddled some specular rivers there. I'll definitely check that one out. Having learned to paddle on a river that is famous for being constricted by logjams, I think I should be able to navigate that section. Just gotta stay on my game. Thanks for the heads up!

And then I definitely will check out the Snake canyon section, sounds like fun whitewater...but even more amusing will be seeing plastic dinosaurs floating down river. That will be a first for me. :)

My only other question is about a hydraulic called TAco Hole...
I've heard this hole has claimed a few lifes. Should I be concerned?

And wayniac,
thanks for adding descriptors of the sections and giving a full picture of what the character of river is like. That's always helpful.

Thanks again for spreading your knowledge! If anyone plans of being in Jackson around August 15th & 16th, let's go boating together.

~julie
I did see the news about the drowning on the commercial trip and they did list a 'taco hole' -a name I'm not familiar with- but names change. The flow right now is around 19,000 cfs which on the one hand is big- but on the other hand, is flowing though a canyon with very few actual obstacles and one which many rapids are simply caused by the river being 'pinched' by the side walls. Here's a thought- if you want to see the run at this level, sign on for a morning (commercial) run then run it in the afternoon. Or ask around at the 100s of folks being directed by the drill sargent ranger at the putin. Late in the day, when the commercial traffic subsides, you will find this section loaded with kayakers avoiding the freeway atmosphere. Or- simply stop at the parking lot above Kahuna and Lunch counter Rapids and see what they look like for yourself.
good luck
wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.