Old 12-30-2013   #1
Homer, Alaska
Aniakchak River (bet you've never heard of it)

Hi Everybody,

I've got this hairbrained scheme to try the Aniakchak River sometime (possibly June of 2015). Has anybody done it or is interested in joining? It sounds like it's class IV. Speaking from personal experience in that area, the weather can be terrible but it's BEAUTIFUL when it's clear. There are probably grizzly bears all over the place.

Just for the record, I've got the 'Alaska River Guide' and it doesn't discourage the trip like the Wikipedia page says. Although the river is about as remote as you can get and isn't for the feint of heart.

The logistics are truly awful. I'm thinking of chartering a floatplane out of King Salmon for the put-in and using an outboard motor to get to Chignik (and the ferry back to the road system) for the takeout. My family runs a commercial fishing boat so I've spent many summers in the

It's a crazy idea I know...but it got me interested somehow.

milesfromnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #2
Silt, Colorado
Aniachak river

I'm interested in doing this trip...I work on 6 mile creek in alaska

riverscum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #3
Homer, Alaska
Ah, another Alaskan (I'm from Homer). It sounds pretty cool doesn't it? You know anybody whos done it?
Old 12-30-2013   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
what's the rationale for the take-out plan vs. a wheeled or float plane pick up at the mouth?
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013   #5
Homer, Alaska
The ONLY rationale is that I'm a cheepskate. Since the air taxis are the main cost, it'd almost double the cost of the trip. But I'd be okay with either option.
Old 12-31-2013   #6
Silt, Colorado
Aniakchak river

The AW website gives a fairly good description of the does look very nice..I have worked 6 mile creek and perhaps Nenana next ass aint gettining any june of 2014 would be even better..
I'm interested in any river trip in Alaska 2014 / 2015...A fly in would be sweet..cost $..but untouched wilderness the payoff.
Old 12-31-2013   #7
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Aniakchak is the river that got me interested in packrafting ~15 years ago.

Some friends did a variation on it recently:

Alaska Peninsula Traverse via Aniakchak Crater |

Lotsa ways to skin that cat. This one looks most appealing to me.
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013   #8
Homer, Alaska
Riverscum: I suppose this year is possible. The fishing boat is currently in King Cove but we haul a trailer-load of stuff out there every year so I could take a raft/kayaks easily. Then we head up to King Salmon (and hauling gear isn't an issue).

If there was a space/weight shortage in the plane out of King Salmon, I could leave some gear in Port Heiden so the plane could make a second 20-mile trip instead of a second 120-mile trip. Save some money.

The only issue with 2014 is that I can't leave an outboard/fuel at Aniakchak Bay (since the fishing boat is in King Cove and going the other way). That means we'd either have to haul a couple hundred pounds of motor+fuel the whole way or charter a plane to fly out. I imagine that there are enough fishing boats around that it might be possible to hitch a ride back to Chignik (or even Kodiak) with them. Can't count on it but it'd be pretty convenient.

Mikesee: that looks like a cool trip! They definitely figured out how to do it cheaply. It looks like they must have paddled over 50 miles along the coast to get back to Chignik?
Old 12-31-2013   #9
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
arctic rivers

Given the logistics I would choose an arctic run such as the Colville, Sheenjek or Kokolik. These offer 200 to 400 miles of high quality wilderness adventure and end at a commercial air strip.
Visiting the locals at Point Lay is an interesting experience --- when paddling out the mouth of the Kokolick to the landing a local fellow came to me and said " I saw your paddle flashing in the sun and thought you were a caribou -- but when I looked thru the scope on my rifle I saw you were a man!!!"
Aniakchak seems like a lot of work for a short although unique experience ---unless you really like crappy weather and difficult and expensive logistics.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #10
Silt, Colorado
Anianchak river

There are plenty of rivers to run in Alaska and some not too expensive for a fly in. I like to meet people through my job ( raft guide ) and get the hook up. I met a pilot in Alaska last summer williling to give a hell of a deal for a fly in where "he" was willing to go, ..lets see about even a road shuttle river multi day..stay in touch..I will be on Nenana starting May