Old 05-07-2012   #1
logan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Alaska/Canada Multiday suggestions

Anyone out there done any multiday alaska/canada rafting? Something like the Tatshenshini River. Or any suggestions on what rivers to do (multiday). I am in the planning stages but am interested in doing a 2-3 week July 1ish trip up there. I know there are outfitters but was hoping to figure out a way to do it privately. Would love to hear about equipment rental vs bring your own, shuttles, risks, ect.

If there is anyone in Fort Collins with intimate knowledge would love to buy them a beer.

thanks all
Jason (970) 581-seven nine nine tw0

jquinn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Check out "Fast & Cold" for Alaska - best guidebook ever. Many runs in AK require flying in, our, or both, but there are several multidays you can do with a car shuttle.

ukonom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
also for alaska, pick up a copy of the 'alaska river guide' by karen jetmar.

i would also get the 'alaska fishing' by rene limeres and gunnar pederson. lots of river info in there too and the only AK fishing guidebook worth a damn too. get what beta where you can because it's generally hard to come by for most rivers.

i've done a couple DIY up above the arctic circle and in SW AK. if you need any contact info for pilots or rental in those areas then PM me. my river trips have been more fmulti-day fishing trips than ww but you still will be challenged. AK is very different in some ways... with braids, shallows,constantly changing river beds,weather,bears, remoteness,logistics,ect.

always ship your gear in advance to whoever your bush pilot is or contact up there is for the trip. it will otherwise get lost or delayed and you are fucked, thus fucking your group too. carry on or ship it USPS at least 1 month or more in advance.

also, you can ship rafts/gear up to allot of remote towns too via a combination of UPS,USPS and Alaska Air Cargo. AKAC is does require a Known Shipper ID though and is best to use it on the return leg through your bush flight co, outfitter,ect. they will have one. ship all 6 weeks in advance. this all said renting is easier,if the gear is good.

and always bring deet and a head net... just in case. it can be no big deal or insanity.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #4
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Not a "river" strictly, the Swanson/Moose river canoe chain on the kenai Penninsula is pretty fun and you could spend at least a good 10 to 12 days in there, or longer, and not see many folks at all (all the tourists are out on the river fishing salmon) and not back in the canoe chain in mid-summer. It has a very very remote feel all though not all the remote for Alaska. Logistics are pretty straight forward and canoes can be rented in sterling Ak so no need to ship much of anything. I have been on it and it is super fun and great fishing for rainbows and dollys
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote