Old 03-23-2011   #1
Rochester, New York
Paddling Since: 2011

Hey, I'm going to the adirondacks soon for a white water kayaking trip. Anyone got any good runs I could do?

Emmafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
bottom moose

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Usually the moose has a few releases in May(Otter and Indy might be running close by as well). You're going to want to hit up the Black if you have the time.

There are some really nice runs around this time of year, trick is getting hooked up with the guys that run the bigger stuff (grasse, oswegatchie, john's brook). Might want to poke your head around on the northeast paddlers message board to try and meet up with people, mostly a tight/smaller group of really good paddlers up that way.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Ausable Chasm
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
The Independence. Cphili mentioned it. It's sweet.

The Hudson can be class III/IV- fun.

And, like everyone else said, the Black (especially if it is over 11K cfs. Inner City Strife is in then) and the Bottom Moose.

Those are the four I miss from back East.
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Oh, and I forgot, the Fish.

Sweet play run about 45 mins north of Utica. So much fun.
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #7
The Bitterroot, Montana
There is some stuff in the catskills that I have never heard of anyone running but looks great. I had the misfortune of spending my first 15 years of life around Kingston. I never boated while I was there but recently went back during a flood and was seriosly wishing I had a boat. The mill stream from wookstock to kingston looks fun. Some ledges and rapids and evan a 20'er. Katterskill creek above palenvill looks good and steep and mank. Harder and more portaging the higher you go. If you live in rochester I sugest poking around the Hunter area too. From Woodstock find old Suagerties road and once you find a little bridge start hiking. This looks like some fairly serious mini gourges and must boof falls. The osopus is also looks bad ass. After seeing some of this stuff for the first time with "boater vision" I def am planning on a runoff trip back to new york in the future
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #8
Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 6
Good suggestions, Independence is awesome, otter is great, moose is a classic, black is fun at any level with hole bros. around, but like Sam said Inner city strife is where it's at. Also out of the way but if nothing else is running the Mettawee closer to Albany is a beautiful run that is always running (much juicer at higher flows, when it becomes full on 5/5+) If you run it do be aware of an easily avoidable, yet very deadly sieve mid way through the run that claimed the life of a good friend and local boater many years back. There is plenty of info on AW and good pics too, the drop is an easy portage which is often taken out of respect for Linda.
AspenHuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #9
The Bitterroot, Montana
So I started to poke around on the AW site and they have some stuff I didn't expect to see on there. Sorry to hijack here but I have some updated info on some parking and legalities but am too broke to become a member to comment on them. Any AW members willing to post this updated info will be rewarded with directions to what the first D team called "the highest concentration of clean large falls in NY" and how not to get your car towed.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #10
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
One of my favourite places to boat

The dacks have it all and some of the biggest runnable drops around! Lots of good suggestions already (Twin falls of the Grasse, Mosse, Independence all classics).
Depending on your style and preference the Oswegatchies (a few sections) are amazing, Racquette (dam release), Johns Brook, Play on the Black and Fish and on and on. Check out the guide book by Dennis Squires if you can get it.

I live on the Ottawa but fire me an email if you are heading down as I'm always up for paddling upstate NY and maybe we could meet up for some boating.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

DanC is offline   Reply With Quote