6 Mile Gap Access Trail - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-29-2012   #1

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
6 Mile Gap Access Trail

I have never been to the 6 Mile Gap take out/put in on the North Platte. However, the guides I have read indicate that the trail from the parking lot is about 200 yards long and somewhat steep.

I have been wondering if it would be possible to use a wheelbarrow to transport a rolled raft (12' trib) frame, oars. small cooler, etc.. to the put-in. I am very interested in doing a 2-3 day fishing float to Treasure Island and know that Northgate will be too low to launch at the Routt Access.

Does anyone have any experience?

John_in_Loveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Wilderness

I've had the same thought about carting down the trail, but it crosses into the Platte River Wilderness shortly after leaving the parking lot. Wheels are a no-go in wilderness areas.
It seems like if you couldn't make it down northgate you'd be pretty hard-pressed to make it down below there without some major hangups, but I don't have any experience with low water up there (and only one run on northgate...). I always thought about it as a way to skip the harder water for a family overnighter.
Old 05-29-2012   #3

golden, arvada NW, south boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
North platte put in / take out

a wheel barrow is a good idea put in is not bad take out is a hump about a 2-3 football fields in length trail can be muddy, I think its a double track track been a while. But the wheelbarrow idea is good should work if your willing to haul
iskiwinterpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #4
Casey

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1974
6 mile gap

THE PREVIOUS NOTE IS CORRECT. THE PATH IS IN THE PLATTE RIVER WILDERNESS JUST OUT OF THE PARKING LOT. SO IF YOU PLAY BY THE RULES NO WHEELS. IT IS MORE LIKE A QUARTER MILE THAN A COUPLE HUNDRED YARDS. WYOMING FISH AND GAME HAS A GOOD UPDATED WATER RESISTANT RIVER MAP WITH PRETTY CURRENT LAND OWNERSHIP, RIVER AND RAPIDS DESCRIPTIONS, AND RULES. AND IT IS FREE. YOU MAY FIND RAFTING TOUGH BELOW 700CFS. YOU CAN ALWAYS GO FROM THE BLM BENNETT PEAK CAMPGROUND ALL THE WAY TO I80. THE ENCAMPMENT RIVER, DOUGLAS CREEK, AND BIG CREEK HAVE ADDED TO THE FLOW BY THAN. FISHING HAS BEEN GOOD ALREADY.
skixc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #5

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
The best rig I've seen for taking a boat down to the river at six mile gap was made out of roofing material. A raft sat on top of it and you used a rope to drag it down to the river. A little work but definitely doable. A tarp would work well but get beat up pretty quick.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Wheel barrow is good thinking, but I think it's just too steep. That sucker would be super hard to control down that hill.

Tags
access