Old 03-15-2011   #21
I'd like to join you, too.

Supposed to be new snow at Monarch on Thursday so I plan to ski there then.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #22
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Oh, Nek Nek Nek. You know how I want to shut you up. Unfortunately, I have to suffer your taunt this time. The Doc cut a deep hole in my side about the diameter of a quarter on Friday. Supposedly I am to stay out of the river for another week. Given that I'm fighting an infection in it today, and have to road trip to clients in the Springs tomorrow, guess I won't get to join the party tomorrow. Wish I could. I was devistatingly bummed last Saturday as Colin and I had planned to hit it then. We'll see how things look this weekend. Catch you soon.

P.S. Last Tuesday was sic at Mirk Ridge. Six laps of freshies slidding with every turn. That was probably the last of the great days this season, though. Time to boat.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #23
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
The Wrec Center is ready to do shuttle.
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #24
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I am pretty sure that I will be making the trip to show up around noon tomorrow. A few important questions though:

1. Can anyone tell me how to get to the 5 1/2 take out?

2. If I make the trip Wednesday I would prefer to camp and get some early morning boating in on Thursday before driving back to Longmont to work at 3pm so...

is there a place to camp this time of year? (in past visits I camped down the dirt road in BV that follows the AK and goes right by Elephant rock where people climb)

and are any of the play features in on the AK yet, or is there any small section worth soloing thursday morning?

Thanks, hope it works out for tomorrow.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #25
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
SKeen, the 5.5 takout is about a 1/4 mile below #5, on the same dirtroad you speak of that runs by Elephant Rock. It is just a large dirt pull-off.
You can camp just upstream of the takeout.
The playpark has 2 features that are in, the Staircase Wave and the Lower Wave (Bodacious).

Looking like it might be 4 before I can get there....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #26
Paddling Since: 96
Logan, maybe I'll time my run with yours. Stay in touch tomorrow afternoon?

Fatbob, may be too late, but would you consider moving the cookout to #4 access point or the Miner's Campground (#7 takeout)? 5 1/2 is small for this kind of potential turnout and exposed if its blowing.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #27
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Sweet thanks for the info, I will be leaving Boulder early to get to the takeout for the first lap as long as everything goes according to plan. see ya'll then.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #28
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Wahoo! gettin stoked to paddle for the first time of the season! depending on turn out and really who wants to go, i'll probly be game for a lap of at least piney to numbers put in after bbq or to 5 1/2. i know a rafter gonna R1 in a mini, so there's some space if someone wana go. so, kayaks, raft, canoes and nope,, no SUPers. OH YEA that's for lakes and oceans and salida, not colorado ww. haha!

id725- thinkin bout showin up @ 12, settin up bbq and pregamin'; leavin for put in @ 1
caster- the more the merrier, hope you make it up,
phil u- still gonna take out @ 5 1/2 hope to see you there
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #29
Paddling Since: 96
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Right on, party people. I'll be at 5.5 at noon.
Might be down for the second lappage.

Phil: Can you bring my black mesh bag (purple trim) if you still have it? I'm pretty sure I left it in your truck last time.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote