Old 07-30-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
2nd annual "intro to Black Rock" trip? -tomorrow

Last year about 20 boaters descended on Black Rock at the end of the season -many for the first time. We had some experienced boaters to show the lines and clean up gear as well.

A good time was had by all and I think we should take advantage of this unusual spike in water levels by doing the trip again. I am pretty sure it will be at least 250 tomorrow -which is a perfect level.

At these levels, the three V- rapids turn into solid class IV (even Rigo). In between those drops paddlers will find a creeky III+ river. Anyone with a solid roll who is confident on the numbers at 600 or higher should be able to get down this run no problem.

As for my experience on Black Rock -lets just say that if it wasn't for that run being so close to my home, I'd actually have a real job by now. Instead, I work in a restaurant.

I am thinking of an 11am-ish put in tomorrow -with the trip going all the way through the lower run as well -but could go later. I am out the door to work, but will be able to check this late tonight and we can set something up then or tomorrow in the am. If you are interested (as either a guide or a newbie) post here and we can set something up.

pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nice Pete! Last years first timers special was a fun time. Hope folks enjoy this year too.

Wish I could be there...

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd be down for a sunday run if the levels hold.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm down and have a friend that wants to go as well, but has never done it. We ran middle and lower narrows at 2.5 feet a couple weeks ago, so I'm sure he'll be fine. I've done it once and thought it was a blast!! Call me in the morning to confirm 303.862.0047.
Kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Just talked to the other guide. The meetup will be 11:30 at the Dam. (the first pulloff on the left after tunnel 1)
pbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to DanielGlauser
It was fun today!

Good to paddle with new friends and old friends. Thanks for getting us to paddle the upper and lower Pete, it made for a really nice day.

DanielGlauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Did Black rock myself Sunday. Surprisingly fun for 250. I could be convinced to do it again, if nothing else comes up.

you guys really ran all the way from Kermit's to the dam at 250? and it was a nice day? Sweet. How long did that take?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote